Akiyama and/or KBA opinions

ErnieLail

Hey guys,

We are looking at purchasing either a 93 Akiyama Bestech 6 color 28x40 press or a 93 KBA 28x40 5 color Rapida 104. Any thoughts or opinions? The reason we are looking at these two is because the GM has found a good deal on those two. Thanks so much!!!

Ernie

Last edited:
Hi,

never Ran the KBA at that yr but run roland and heidi, and am thinking they are very similar. And ive run a B2 Akiyama.

Out of the 2 ide go for the Akiyama. The plate up and register time on the Aki;s are lightining Quick Because of the plate clamps.

Wereas the KBA, Roland Heidi Will have 8 or so bolts to Tension the plate the akiyama has a spring loaded bolt on the side which releases or tensions the plate. Although the aki isnt as bullet proof as the Germans if you look after it, youll love it simply because of the registration time.

Just as a heads up, if you go with the aki keep the ducts clean and clean under the ink duct blades weekly and make sure you tighten the blades back up properly, if you dont do this you will damage the duct key motors

hope this helps

Whats the thickest paper/board you ran on the aki? The press we are looking at has 238MM Impressions, but it was a yearbook companies so i dont think it was abused too much with thicker stocks.

Whats the thickest paper/board you ran on the aki? The press we are looking at has 238MM Impressions, but it was a yearbook companies so i dont think it was abused too much with thicker stocks.

I Ran 400Gram max on it but i think it would have handled thicker if the need arrouse. The one i ran was porrly looked after by us but even then it chewed through the work. I have run a roland 1990 which i would say would be similar to the KBA, and if was built to last with very little maintanance but the issue with the makeready time outwighed that.

When the aki left us it had 250 million imps and we had it 6 yrs, it was a hard decision for the owner to get rid of it lol.

So to sum up, If it has regular greasing (monthly) Weekly Washes (ducts, rollers) it will do you good but if your operators are a bit slack in Doing this go for the KBA.

As a guide to take old plates of and a new set of 4 on the aki was aout 10-12 mins (including setting ink keys) on the Roland i ran it was about 30 - 40 mins.

Hope this hlps and if you need anything let me know

Hey guys,

We are looking at purchasing either a 93 Akiyama Bestech 6 color 28x40 press or a 93 KBA 28x40 5 color Rapida 104. Any thoughts or opinions? The reason we are looking at these two is because the GM has found a good deal on those two. Thanks so much!!!

Ernie

Ernie, check the mileage (impressions) on both. The Akiyama might be less robust than the KBA. KBA RA 104s are basically from the "Planeta" era, and those machines were built like tanks and will last many years. Not many people know it but the RA 104 was pretty much kicking Heidi's 102 CD and Roland 600s behinds during most of the late 80s and early 90s in terms of technology... they were truly an impressive press. The modern 105s are a direct descendant from them. However, as I said, try to check how may impressions they have and the overall shape of the machine. Also, it might be trickier finding a good engineer for the KBA 104 than for the Aki...

I would certainly agree with Mr. King..! I am running an Akiyama as well and i simply love it..!

The plate change and registration takes real less time than the germans..! consumes less electricity as well..easy to maintain too..!
I also agree that the Planetas and KBAs are like tanks..! I also run a Planeta SuperVariant..! I would say it is a good machine but it keeps coming up with faults..! If we can clean the Akiyama timely and take care of it , it is very less likely to give any problems..!
Infact , i am looking to buy another Akiyama now.

I would certainly agree with Mr. King..! I am running an Akiyama as well and i simply love it..!

The plate change and registration takes real less time than the germans..! consumes less electricity as well..easy to maintain too..!
I also agree that the Planetas and KBAs are like tanks..! I also run a Planeta SuperVariant..! I would say it is a good machine but it keeps coming up with faults..! If we can clean the Akiyama timely and take care of it , it is very less likely to give any problems..!
Infact , i am looking to buy another Akiyama now.

glad you agree sir what yr akiyama do you have? if you need any advice on it im your man i worked on one for ages and got to know it well

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back