An Australian experience

Damo77

So I'm arranging a job through this printing firm. I haven't dealt with this mob before. In reality, they're just the "front end" of a printing firm - the actual printing is done in China.

Their material specs say the usual "all files must be supplied in CMYK only", without any mention of details. I don't like guessing games, so I called them. An accurate ICC profile would have been lovely, but unlikely, so I was just after all the information I could glean - press standards, densities, dot gain, whatever ... just give me something to work with, so I've got some small chance of my colours printing the way I expect.

As is common in these situations (here in Oz, anyway), it was like talking to a parrot. Every question was answered the same way: "We need CMYK files". "May I have an ICC profile?" "We need CMYK files". "Do your presses conform to SWOP standards?" "We need CMYK files". "Well, what's the dot gain?" "We need CMYK files".

[RANT1]
Geez this sh#ts me to tears!!! This is a printing firm, for God's sake! They don't know anything about colour. If you went to a doctor and asked him what blood type you were, and the doctor didn't know there were different blood types, you'd look for a new doctor, and fast! Well, imagine almost the whole country were filled with these dodgy doctors - that's what the Australian printing industry is like.
[/RANT1]

Eventually he conceded that 20% dot gain was probably suitable, but he's clearly guessing. He went on to say that they would provide a proof for us to approve, then match that proof on the press. So I said "but what if my blue skies are too purple, for example?", to which he replied "Oh well, we'll run the cyan up on that sheet".

[RANT2]
Aaaargh!! Why are printers still doing this? They've got wonderfully sophisticated presses, capable of very precise and consistent printing, not to mention access to a world of profiling technology, but they're still f&cking with their densities!
[/RANT2]

Obviously, I pointed out that I didn't want all the photos on my page to have a cyan cast for the sake of one purple sky, so I said we'd prefer to correct the problem at time of proofing. Would we have to pay for that? "Yes, there is a fee for re-supplying".

[RANT3]
This makes me SO mad! How is this fair? They give us zero information about our CMYK separations, but if we get it wrong and have to re-supply, we have to PAY for it? This is a mild form of extortion, and it irritates me enormously.

I would LOOOOVE to see this issue go to court, somewhere, sometime. How can a printer legally charge their customer a fee to fix a mistake that was not the customer's fault?

Every now and then you hear of a car manufacturer having to recall a batch of their latest vehicles, because there was a problem on the production line one week, and a thousand cars have faulty airbags, or whatever. The car manufacturer recalls those cars and fixes the problem. Can you imagine the car manufacturer charging the car buyer to fix that fault? Of course not, that would be ridiculous. Yet it's fair game in the printing industry, at least Down Under.
[/RANT3]

He told me that they couldn't provide an accurate profile, because they couldn't be sure which press our job would be running on. They have several different presses, which is not unusual.

So I pointed out that it would be much wiser for us to provide our files with the images (at least) in RGB, since there would (or at least should) be profile conversions happening both at time of proofing and time of platemaking. Of course this was met with "huh?" followed by "we need CMYK files".

[RANT4]
When are Australian printers going to figure out the benefits of a late-binding workflow? Yes, I know it presents problems, but the benefits could be enormous!
[/RANT4]

He began to babble about unreproducible RGB colours, which of course is true. But I didn't attempt to bamboozle him further with talk of rendering intents and soft-proofing, I just politely thanked him and hung up. But it brings me to my last rant, on a slightly different tangent ...

[RANT5]
I blame these fancy-pants, tertiary-educated, never-seen-a-press-in-their-life, love-designing-with-bright-colours graphic designers for giving RGB a bad name. I'm sure every printing firm has had heaps of "but it looked much brighter on my screen" incidents. As a result, they refuse to have anything to do with RGB, to the detriment of the industry, IMO.
[/RANT5]

Well, if you've read this far, I must have struck a chord. Anybody have anything to add? Applaud enthusiastically, or shoot me down, I don't mind. In particular, I'm interested to know if this is a problem in other countries, or if it's just poor old Australia being 10 years behind the rest of the world.

Last edited:
Mate I'm a press operater running a brand new multicolour, and nothing gives me the
sh--ts, more then the fact that the company can afford such machines, but doesn't want to back it up with a proofing machine /densitometer and all the simple nescesities that should be available for the printer..
I'm given a proof out of some canon, colour copier, and the managers, above, often want me to push colours through the roof or run with nearly no ink so it matches a piece of paper that is cleary not a proof or even better get it so it looks like what
is on the computer screen...:(

You do your head trying to get them to understand the simple principles of dot gain, and press stability that is effect by doing shuch things...:mad:

I now ignore them, have had the press calibrated, and will only run to the pms book as good as I can by eye, unless a properly calibrated proof is put in front of me...

As for your rant's
simple fix to that problem,, use another printer,, one that is not sending work OS so you then can have more interaction with the job if needed.

It's the same pain here in the states. Every time you must go through a middleman–CSR in our case, there's a good chance for lost in transition. The difference is, ours will accept RGB files and some times provide profiles if we asked for it, but why must we ask for profile? You would think vendors in 21st century would want their clients supply image files with correct profiles by now.

Perhaps your in the wrong industry and should be working for a printer. I look after prepress in a large aus set up with multi sites and multi presses. Cant say i know everything but certainly try and keep the vision moving. Our proofers are calibrated to match our presses so in most cases (there are exceptions on certain colours like all printers) our print result matches press. Actually its the other way around. We test and calibrate each press to its optimal printing desity (flatline) then we adjust linierisation to the plate dot gain for each press/plate output to bring all presses closer to our 'house' standard which ends up aiming to run each press at optimum 'flatline' standard giving a similar result. This is all done digially using Heidelberg 'Image Control' which we have several. This data is captured in prepress and we can get exact numbers on how far away a press is (on one job, several jobs, a whole shift or month) to the standard and readjust. This is done daily as the press changes as it is a moving peice of equiptment. Our proofs are the last to be calibrated as they are then matched to the press standard and checked every week and test forms read on the same image controls to produce colour match. We have icc profile that we can supply customers so your internal proofs or calibrated screens will simulate our presses. All our printing is done on site or you might proof in melbourne and print in sydney for example of thats your delivery point. Our house press standard is similar to ISO v2 or fogra 39 but there are some sublte differences. We are investigating making some modifications to run all our presses and proofers to ISOv2 standard to make it easier for customers like yourself so if you ring up asking for density or profiles we can just tell you to select ISO from your settings and away we go.

I hope this helps. Some old school types still think this industry is all production but i firmly believe we are customer service and require some modern thinking. We may have all the latest technology but like any plant the person operating the computer or press can still balls it up by not giving a 'sh#t' about their job or the customer - it can happen anywhere.
Time to change your printer i think

Thanks Chiefy! You give me a great deal of hope. May I know the name of your firm?

As I said, I'd love to change printers, but it's not my call.

Still don't understand those buyers that will go by lowest price, no matter how uncertain you are. You get what you pay for ;) and that means if you don't know what you are paying then you don't know what you get.

Nobody else? C'mon, I poured my heart and soul into these rants! I'm particularly interested in people's thoughts on Rant3.

(And I'd hoped for some kudos for my clever blood type analogy in Rant1!)

Damo's rants

Damo's rants

G'Day Damo,
You're a great ranter mate; should be more of it. Here's the answer:
ISO 12467
It's the standard that's becoming more and more accepted. 3DAP has shifted to it. Your print management company's problem is that they genuinely do not know what press your job will end up on and all presses (even from the same manufacturer) print differently, with different press crews, inks, CTP, web or sheetfed etc etc. They'll go where the free capacity is for the best price. So unless you know the characteristics of the output device, how can you print to a standard? Note that most Australian printers and publications DO give you very explicit information on how to submit files not just (and I enjoyed that bit) "Parroting CMYK".

You need to see a certified proof, preferrably to ISO 12467; here's a taste:
"ISO 12647-2:2004 specifies a number of process parameters and their values to be applied when preparing colour separations for four-colour offset printing or when producing four-colour prints by one of the following methods: heat-set web, sheet-fed or continuous forms process printing, or proofing for one of these processes; or offset proofing for half-tone gravure."

By the way, these issues HAVE ended up in courts but the courts come down in favour of the printer becuse the print buyer did not specify, insist on and check that the job was printed to a STANDARD. Press checks in China are hard to arrange eh? (ref: Weight watchers brochure 2006)

You can tune up your existing situation but it'll never be perfect. Put pressure on your employer to print in Australia - there are good deals around. It'll change your life dealing with printers who not only care but can deliver what you want so long as they know what it is.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back