Another uncoated profile question

jbarrie

I have been asked as well to create an uncoated profile for out GMG color management system. I would like to run uncoated stock through our epson 9800, but I do not know what company makes good uncoated stock. My 2 questions are: 1) Does anybody know who makes a good uncoated stock. 2) I do not have an uncoated press sheet with control strips or P2P color bars, so how do I get a MX4 file created to get me in the ballpark. I do not need to be perfect at this point, just close enough for the press (KBA rapida) to have a chance. Is there a generic uncoated MX4 profile made?

Jeff

Re: Another uncoated profile question

jeff,
I would not recommend running an uncoated media through your 9800. Rather, I would suggest you find a matte inkjet media to simulate an uncoated press sheet. Our company makes a range of products that fit this application (and many others) from lightweight up to a 60 pound G7 compatible paper. It's not a scare tactic to say not to run uncoated through your Epson. The nozzles can become clogged much faster and the absorption of ink into uncoated media can produce varying results from the same file.

Feel free to contact me if you'd like more info.

I think what Bob means is that in the inkjet world all pretty much all media is coated with an ink receptive layer. There is a lot of matte inkjet media out there but I can't say which might be good for proofing because I haven't gone down that road.

-sean

Jeff,
We use CGS semi-matt publication proof paper for our Epsons. It is not uncoated, but gives the flat matt look of uncoated stock and is the brightness of a # 5 sheet. We don't get any clogging issues.
Hope this helps.
http://www.cgs.de/home.php

We run the same CGS sheet and had great results with it. The matte finish sure beats the ultra gloss finishes that some papers come in.

Along those lines, ARE there any papers out there, designed for inkjet, without a coating on them? I am currently working with a paper manufacturing company in trying to design a paper like this, and am wondering if there is anything out there like this already. I have stumbled upon Technocell Decor, which makes ink-jet printable decor paper, and am waiting to get samples to test them out in my HPs...

http://www.technocell-dekor.de/staticsite/staticsite.php?menuid=132&topmenu=111&keepmenu=inactive

Anyone else have any experience with this?

Jon

Well, yes.

I am working with a paper mill to explore other options, though. We embed everything in a resin solution, which is liquid, which means that our paper needs to be able to breathe in order to successfully go through our molding/embedment process.

Coatings on paper seal the paper off, and I am trying to find ways around that. It's interesting. Quite a journey. Hoping to figure some new things out.

Hi Jeff

at Drupa GMG introduced the new paper GMG ProofPaper matte 140.
There will be also GMG reference profiles for various printing conditions to be proofed on GMG ProofPaper matte 140 paper with the next GMG software update.

Regards

Nicolas

How does this paper compare to gmg semimatte 250? what's this paper lab values?

I am assuming it was measured with no UV filter?

If, so it is very good.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back