Any idea on how to do this?

bhm8hwcm

I have a client that wants to give me about 400 photos and have me print off 1 copy of each. It is for the back of the postcard. Postcard info would all be static but just photo would change.

I do not presently have any Variable data software and do not necessarily want to make a big investment.

Any idea if there are easy/inexpensive ways to do this without manually putting them. I doubt client would give me a spreadsheet of file names. I also know client wants them to be done in order (I assume by file name in folder/directory).

Thanks

Check Contact Sheet features in Photoshop CS3 and Adobe Bridge CS4, you can define your page size, borders and so on and save a PDF of the result. It might do just what you want.

Using LoganBlade's idea. You don't have to use the Print Window application.

Instead you can select the files you want. Copy (Command +C) and then paste into TextEdit or Excel. Then follow the rest of merging within InDesign Data Merge. Don't forget to add the @ symbol to the header. The @ symbol tells InDesign to place an image instead of text.

Thanks for the input. I have tried both ways and they both work.

This is actually easier than I thought.

This is actually easier than I thought.

Don't say that to your customer!

Hum and ha and furrow your brow and promise to put your best people on this problem and, unfortunately you'll have to charge a bit extra for all the work you'll be doing but you're sure they'll understand. :)

best, gordon p

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back