Any problems with cockpit 2010????

MxPrepress

Any one have problems with cockpit 2010? Evething was very well with my workflow until HEIDELBERG upgrade me. Files with Transparency and psds produce many problems: low res images. No way to resolve this. Heidelberg said they'll ask to Alemania!!!!
HELP!:(

can you switch back to cpsi from appe. I was going to upgrade in 2 to 3 weeks I hope it gets fixed.

Thanks rbailleu,
but the problem didnt resolve. Cause its in cockpit where is generated (in Qualify and Prepare), before any engine can processed the file. I'll try to make changes in "Qualify" secuence in order to preserve the transparency, And later in Prepare deselect the transparency treatment, (the transparency will remain no flatten), To see if META rasterize transparency well.
I Know its necesary to go with the new software advances But sometimes happens that everything become worse. I'll let you know

While there are bunch of small things broken and some functionality lost, that I am hoping to get back with future updates, I have not seen anything earth shattering like what you describe (we upgraded to 2010 couple of months ago).
I am not sure what is your setup but you have to leave transparency alone, and let Rip handle it with PDF Print engine.
Otherwise you just defeated one of the main features of the workflow and are not using it to full potential.
If you elaborate more on your setup, maybe we can be of some help.

Thanks for you comment Zoran
I 100% agree with you about the main feature of the workflow, but the Rip seems like it can't handle. Or something its SO wrong w my setup &/or my PDF settings.
My setup:
Qualify:
Normalizing(compress color images w ZIP, Whitout data loss, extended: conserve transparency)
Preflight (PDF version 1.3 to 1.7) images resolution not below 300 dpis, no device RGB colors
Destination
Prepare:Color conversion, (Compress processed images ZIPlossless)
transparency Handling, (transparency Flatening Quality 100%
preflight ,and trapping.
META rasterize transparency well, I up my PDF directly to SIGNA, & everything its ok... BUT no trapping, preflight etc.
The way in that actually work (meanwhile i found the path again) is:
To save the PDF in illustrator, compression Do Not Downsample images
raster effects settings CMYK, 600 ppi, transparent anti alias preserve spots colors=
heavy weight pdfs, High res images.
MUCH TIME loss & risk for manipulated the files in this way!
Hope for Help, I a desperated junior prepress designer

If you want to, I can take a look at your sequence settings.
Just export a job with all sequences you used in it and post that zip-file here.

There are a lot of possibilities to reduce image quality, and to cover all of them takes quite some time.

I am very interested in the JobExport too. Please post an empty job with all workflow in it and additionally a (small) pdf, which shows the problem. I will ask the developers directly what's wrong!

Thanks all of you, I post the job export, without document files (cause 5MB weight) and in a 2nd reply i going to post one pdf. Hope it be useful.

Attachments

• PROOFF LOWRESIMAGES2.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 197
HI again
I Post a folder with one pdf, and links inside. without color profiles.
Before upload the pdf through Cockpit highresimages, after Cockpit: low res images.

Anything else you need, let me know.

Attachments

• PDF OF PROOF LOWRESIMAGES.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 205
"Flatten Transparency" is your culprit.

Adobe's flatten transparency is ... let me phrase that kindly ... garbage since Acrobat 9.
Since Heidelberg uses the same libraries from Adobe for flattening, you get the same result.
Try flattening the source PDF in Acrobat 9; you get the same degraded images.

When Acrobat 9 flattens transparencies, it will inherently reduce image resolution and apply a very lossy JPEG compression on the result - which you can clearly see in your example.

If you want to see a funny thing: set pixel to vector to 0 in Acrobat's transparency flattener. It will not degrade transparent image quality that much as higher settings do, but will reduce quality of transparent vector art.

My advice: keep transparencies and let the RIP handle them.

BTW why do you check "Keep Transparencies" in Qualify and then flatten transparency in Prepare right after it? ;)

PS:
Shame on Heidelberg, they should know this. I reported that over a year ago to them.

Last edited:
Hi MxPress,
this answer is right. If it's OK for you, let the RIP handle the transparencies. This is the way to get the best quality!
The way of flatten transparencies in 2010 has been changed from conversion to postscript to using the adobe pdf-lib 9.2!
The postscript-way of flattening will be accessible in 2011 again.
If you need a quick solution, force your service to ask development for a hotfix which will make the ps-conversion available in your system!

Your advices works!
Mi secuence alredy do have "preserve transparency" in Qualify
and "transparency handling" in Prepare. No different results.
But I remove "handle transparency" from Prepare.
Result a PDF with preflight, trap,etc with transparency, AND HIGH RES IMAGES!
Upload this PDF to SIGNA and everythig its OK
I check the plates and theres no problem.

Thanks you were very helpful for me.:)
I dont know how service is in your country, but in Mexico the Heidelberg guys sucks!
them are Almost never solving anything
whatever & I will ask to my service for the Hotfix.

PD: thanks you for your patient & great deal of consideration about my bad english:D

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back