Any Xerox phaser news ?

digitaldogsbody

Hi all,

We currently use xerox phasers and need to upgrade to a faster machine that can handle sra3 properly, preferably in the main trays and duplex would be a bonus.

We are seriously considering a docucolor 242 but have heard some unofficial rumours that there "may" be a new phaser built on the 242 engine. These are totally unconfirmed but thought I would post here just to see if anyone else has heard similar ?

The quality of the phasers can be stunning with the right file input but we are getting increasingly fed up with the following problems:

Sra3 bypass tray suffers from unacceptable amounts of skew on feeding. Thus leaving the machine operator too scared to print on Sra3 !

Front to back registration can fall way outside acceptable limits.

Thin gloss settings appear to confuse the timing of the engine and imho it needs a firmware rewrite which is unlikely to happen.

Static build up can be enormous, making manual duplex rather amusing to say the least.

Are we likely to suffer similar problems with a 242 and is the bypass tray on a 242 more accurate than the phasers ?

We have looked at the oki machines and although they offer duplex sra3 the print quality simply does not compare to the xerox.

Sorry for so many questions but its hard to get this info out of dealers, actually its impossible.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
I already have 2 of these, and 2 others before that. They all have an inherent design fault with the multipurpose (bypass) tray that skews the stock on feeding - thus rendering the machines useless for sra3 printing as its the only tray that can handle the size.

I will probably buy a 242 and then xerox will immediately announce a brand new phaser that handles sra3 in the main trays, such is my luck in the world of printing.

The 242 has an optional high capacity sra3 feeder tray that 'supposedly' has excellent feeding accuracy, however this remains to be seen when I go to look at 1 at soon.

Last edited:
The high capacity feeder on the 242 is the *only* way to go for SRA3, otherwise you are limited to the bypass tray, which is for lack of a better word, useless. Manual duplexing through this is a nightmare when it comes to registration.

If you're looking to duplex any coated stock > 100gsm, you're going to have problems with auto duplexing, make sure you check the CED. I've had a 2 year headache with this very issue. The print quality is great, the headache of getting the prints out the other end of the machine, not great.

I liken our machine to a french artist, (apologies for the stereotype here), when it works it's fantastic but to often it exclaims 'No, I cannot work under these conditions'.

Digitaldogsbody

Xerox is set to release more solid ink MFP's this year. I do not know if any are based in part on the 242 engine. I couldn't imagion that they would be since the imaging section would be very different. Last I heard, they were due in mid spring.

Digitaldogsbody: Are you running the okidate led toner phaser 7400, fuji toner laser unit 7760, or one of many Techtronics solid ink phasers.

The rummor is on a new solid ink phaser unit.

242 is not the newest engine, though I doubt anythong comes out before september this year. Sometimes it is hard to afford the wait...

Digitaldogsbody

Xerox is set to release more solid ink MFP's this year. I do not know if any are based in part on the 242 engine. I couldn't imagion that they would be since the imaging section would be very different. Last I heard, they were due in mid spring.

These multifunctions will be solid ink departmental machines. 40ppm or so. It will be limited introduction. It will be something very different from anything else in the market!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back