Anyone here use ArtPro?

Old Dog

New here but hope I will find many great answers. We have been using ArtPro for several years for trapping of packaging. Lately we have run into a new issue with importing files. All of our work is imported from Illustrator CS3 or CS2. The problem seems to be gaussian blurs created in Illustrator. When importing an EPS into ArtPro the some of the text close to the blur appears jagged like it is low resolution even though it has already been converted to outlines before import. Also, sometimes the text comes in as a mapped picture instead of the colors used. We can sometimes grab this text and delete it and the correct text color is underneath. We have tried different versions of ArtPro and also tried to import PDF and native Illustrator files with no success. If we isolate the text on a new document in Illustrator and then import usually comes in clean. This is what leads me to the gaussian blur theory.

We have tried calling tech support in the past with varying results. Usually we have them stumped and we have to figure it out on our own. Has anyone else seen this problem and have a work around? This seems to be happening more and more lately. Thanks.

Could you post the problematic files. I could not recreate any issues from what you had said.

Cheers.
steve.weiss

Not sure how I would post this problem here. We receive these files from the designer and it seems to always involve areas that have had a gaussian blur added to a box or placed image. The text closest to the blur (but not all text, which is weird in itself) is affected with the bitmap look or shows as a mapped picture. We have sent problem files to Artworks before but had the files "lost" somewhere. That's why I'm hoping another user has run into this and can give some insight as to what we might try. Thanks.

When you save the .eps file, make sure your Transparency Flattener preset is set to High Resolution.
The conversion of the vector object to an image is a process of flattening the blur and any other transparency settings (like drop shadows, multiply, etc).

The behaviour you explain is correct as you are exporting the Illustrator file as an EPS. It's best to export as a PDF 1.5 into ArtPro. This way, all transparencies are kept live and even layers are still honoured.

The Gaussian blur part will still probably save out a TIF but the text will remain as paths over the top.

When you save the .eps file, make sure your Transparency Flattener preset is set to High Resolution.

We tried this on a file that was giving us problems and it seemed to import better. But it still shows as a mapped picture instead of black type. When we click on this black type and hide it the text looks like it is knocking out the background color. If we turn off by color this anomaly does not appear so we are afraid to trust what we see. I am going try and show you a screen grab to better show what we are seeing.

We have tried PDF 1.5 or above imports with varying results. Are you saving a PDF our of Illustrator or using Distiller? What settings are you using? Thanks to all.

Attachments

• Grab Chicken.jpg
    Grab Chicken.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 228
We have tried PDF 1.5 or above imports with varying results. Are you saving a PDF our of Illustrator or using Distiller? What settings are you using? Thanks to all.

Save straight out of Illustrator. No Distiller. And choose indeed the highest PDF flavour available in your CS version.

cheers

Last edited:
Our ArtPro guy here has another question. When you paste something into an ArtPro document like type, why does it just paste it anywhere on the artboard? He says it might be in the far upper corner and not in the center of the screen like you would expect.

We wish there was an ArtPro user forum. There are so many questions and we have found so many work arounds that a forum for users would be nice.

Last edited:
Do you mean pasting between artpro doc's? if so check the ruler position from the reference doc against the other. ArtPro always copies & pastes an object with the reference from the ruler.

You might wanna consider an ArtPro training from esko. These topics have been covered when I got trained by them.

Last edited:
You might wanna consider an ArtPro training from esko. These topics have been covered when I got trained by them.

We had training several years ago and several versions ago both ArtPro and Illustrator. Many things have changed since then so I'm sure an update in training may help. The thing is we may have so many questions they may kick us out. :D

As far as the ruler, we just tried that and it still pastes it way outside of the AP doc.

we always turn font to outline

We also turn everything to outlines but sometimes a correction might be necessary. If it is only one word or group of words why go through all the trapping again. We just paste the new text and replace. The thing is if it is a small piece of type it can get lost easily when we have no control over where it pastes.

- Select the new txt - position your ruler in the middle from the selected txt & choose to copy or cut it.

- Select the txt to be replaced - Position your ruler again in the middle from the selected txt & choose paste.

:rolleyes:

If you have already verified that your vector text is on top of all rasterized and blurred images in illustrator and still have this problem, try the following:

In your Nexus Manager try adjusting the Importing module in your workflow, Image settings you have 3 choices; Never, Most or Always.

If you have already verified that your vector text is on top of all rasterized and blurred images in illustrator and still have this problem, try the following:

In your Nexus Manager try adjusting the Importing module in your workflow, Image settings you have 3 choices; Never, Most or Always.

DO you mean this panel. the setting never, most or always is only for bitmap.

Attachments

• 123.png
    123.png
    26 KB · Views: 226
1 Try not to use CS2 (this was a verry bad version), use CS3 instead
2 Check in Illustrator that your Document Rastering Effects are set to High(300ppi), you can find this under Effect > Document Rastering Effects Settings. Also check that Preserve spot colors is on. Keep in mind that when you change the resolution from 72ppi or 150ppi to 300ppi the effects that are set with pixels (like gautianblur) wil change.
3 No need to save a extra pdf, but save your Illustrator with compatible pdf, this way you dont have to fiddle with the pdf settings
4 Import this Illustrator with compatible pdf into ArtPro and be shure your setting are like this:
http://printplanet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1199&stc=1&d=1268221865
http://printplanet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1200&stc=1&d=1268221865

This should give you a good result.

5 We never do tekst edits in ArtPro we always do it in Illustrator

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-10 at 12.49.36.JPG
    Screen shot 2010-03-10 at 12.49.36.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 243
  • Screen shot 2010-03-10 at 12.49.47.JPG
    Screen shot 2010-03-10 at 12.49.47.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 261
Yes, that is correct panel. I had the same issue a couple of years back. I just don't remember what setting I had to change it to (could have been Always).

One more thing you might want to try which I did for another similar problem is to copy your existing problem text, then change this same existing text to white (KO) paste colorized text back on top.

Good luck.

We own a license for ArtPro but haven't used it for years. I wasn't part of the training but when one of our co-workers returned from the training he seemed to have the opinion that anything he could do in ArtPro he could do better in Illustrator. I never got the training myself so I am not one to judge. I also understood from him that it was mainly geared for the packaging prepress world which is not our forte.

...when one of our co-workers returned from the training he seemed to have the opinion that anything he could do in ArtPro he could do better in Illustrator...

Odd... I have some 15 years of experience training ArtPro operators. They have all said that given choise, they would never go back to Illustrator, as they can do the same things so much easier and "with less tinkering" on ArtPro.

Of course, these things are often a matter of opinion...

I also understood from him that it was mainly geared for the packaging prepress world which is not our forte.

This is true. The major advantages in using ArtPro can be best realised in packaging industry.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back