Anyone using OS Yosemite yet?

JoeatData

Hey all.

The last couple of weeks I've been getting messages telling me Yosemite is now available.
I've been holding off to see if there are any issues with Yosemite and the current softwares and workflow systems.

I am wondering who has upgraded to Yosemite and what have you experienced since the upgrade?

I have upgraded to Yosemite on my Retina MacBook Pro. No issues with Adobe CC (latest updates). Command workstation runs no problem and have had no printer issues with our J75 and our DC260. Visually I love this update, its very slick with the dark menu and dock now. Great new feature with Apple Mail as well, can send attachments up to 5 gigs. No more using dropbox to send over large files.

We put it on two of our machines. Fusionpro, Creative Cloud, and Command Workstation seem to be working fine.

Installed on my personal MacBook Pro on Friday. Took it off yesterday.
I'll wait till they get some of the kinks out and try again.

One Application that we know is NOT yet compatible with Yosemite is "SmartStream" for the Indigo Press. Everything else seems to be running fine.

Issued from EFI:

"Metrix 2013 and earlier will not run on Mac OSX 10.10 Yosemite.

Metrix 2014, scheduled for release in December, will support Mac OSX 10.10 Yosemite.

In the meantime, please to do not upgrade to Mac OSX 10.10 Yosemite on any Mac where you expect to run Metrix."

I went a users group meeting for Filemaker yesterday. I heard a laundry list of complaints about generic OS (mostly GUI) bugs and glitches. As with any OSX waiting for the x.x.1 patch is always a good idea. This patch usually is out within 2 months of the x.X launch. If you enjoy the pain of being an early adopter full steam ahead!

Been testing Yosemite for the last three days. Too many problems, some really strange stuff happening, PS is slower, other things as well, not worth the trouble at this point. I will wait for the first patch and then do a clean install of everything.

I've run into a pretty serious problem, and was hoping someone here could help me remedy the situation. Aside from the horrendous performance of Yosemite, it appears my Acrobat Pro XI is having a serious issue. We work in a Digital printing company running 2 igens (one 4, and one 150, both with the 26" sheet capability). It seems printing up anything larger than 12x18 now gets automatically scaled down. I have verified that I am printing from Acrobat as "Actual Size", and haven't changed any of my paper presets from before the upgrade. Has anyone else run into this problem? Thanks in advance for any guidance....hopefully this post is somewhat legible.

-C

I have noticed an odd "bug" as well. In Command Workstation we sometimes can't type quantities in. To fix it, we have to close CW, repair permissions, and relaunch. Then all is well for a day or two.

I've run into a pretty serious problem, and was hoping someone here could help me remedy the situation. Aside from the horrendous performance of Yosemite, it appears my Acrobat Pro XI is having a serious issue. We work in a Digital printing company running 2 igens (one 4, and one 150, both with the 26" sheet capability). It seems printing up anything larger than 12x18 now gets automatically scaled down. I have verified that I am printing from Acrobat as "Actual Size", and haven't changed any of my paper presets from before the upgrade. Has anyone else run into this problem? Thanks in advance for any guidance....hopefully this post is somewhat legible.

-C

Have you tried re-installing Acrobat again? Maybe Acrobat/Yosemite isn't sensing that the machine you're sending it to have those "installed features". Have you tried creating a custom paper size yet?

Well it gets to the machine as the correct size, the print is just smaller from crop to crop than it's supposed to be. I'll try reinstalling and report back. Thanks for the suggestion.

-C

Skip the printing from Acrobat and let the RIP read the PDF directly. When you print, you are flattening the PDF, which causes you to lose out on functions the RIP can handle internally, like trapping in transparency areas.

Skip the printing from Acrobat and let the RIP read the PDF directly. When you print, you are flattening the PDF, which causes you to lose out on functions the RIP can handle internally, like trapping in transparency areas.

I did try dragging like 30 PDFs into my Fiery at one time (wimpy Fiery to be honest) and it crashed the Fiery. Has anyone experienced files like that before?

I'll try it with our J75's Fiery when we receive it at the end of this week. Pretty excited as I've been running a 7775 as a full production machine. Are there any PDFs I should avoid dropping into the Fiery?

Use PDFs all the time on our j75 with no issues, from large colour to manuals, it takes them all effortlessly

Well, for whatever reason, our bosses basically MAKE us print the imposed files up to the FreeFlow rip. I know when I started here we were using hot folders, which were more convenient at times, but we had a lot more issues primarily with transparencies. Until Yosemite, ALL of my preset sizes from 12.5x19 all the way up to 14.33x26 worked flawlessly. Now, none of them measure correctly from crop to crop. Still haven't found a solution :(

Thanks for the replies though, guys, I'll be sure and keep checking back.

-C

Well, for whatever reason, our bosses basically MAKE us print the imposed files up to the FreeFlow rip. I know when I started here we were using hot folders, which were more convenient at times, but we had a lot more issues primarily with transparencies. Until Yosemite, ALL of my preset sizes from 12.5x19 all the way up to 14.33x26 worked flawlessly. Now, none of them measure correctly from crop to crop. Still haven't found a solution :(

Thanks for the replies though, guys, I'll be sure and keep checking back.

-C

It sounds like the version of FreeFlow that you utilize is not a PDF optimized RIP. I see that Xerox offers an Adobe-PDF-Print-Engine (sometimes called APPE) version of FreeFlow and a version without. I'd be willing to bet you have the non-APPE version which leads to those kind of the problems like you described.

However, there is a solution!
Using PDF/X1a PDFs in conjunction with hot folders (even without APPE) will not only resolve this problem but will also likely resolve other problems you encounter as well like speed, crashing on print, weird printing glitches, settings not available on the printer settings via computer that are available on the server, etc.

Now, none of them measure correctly from crop to crop. Still haven't found a solution.

Wait wait wait. Our designer and I have been pulling our hair out having a similar issue on our machine. We're running a Xerox 7775 with a Fiery RIP and (this scenario for certain, not sure where else it show's up)when we print the job from InDesign and "include crop marks", our job tends to come up 1/16" short on the long edge of 12 x 18" and the correct size or indistinguishably smaller on the short edge. This isn't a huge issue yet, but it's something that we've been wondering what the heck is causing the issue. We've printed to a PS file and imported back into InDesign and everything came out as it should, so it's the RIP that's producing the issue.

It is on my list of things to check when we take delivery of our J75 this week, to see if the EX RIP does the same thing. I actually meant to ask this question on here the other day, but I guess I got distracted.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back