Apogee 8 impose, Anybody using it?

dkinsac

We are going to buy the upgrade to 8. I've always used Preps! Any one have any feedback on Prepress 8?

We are going to buy the upgrade to 8. I've always used Preps! Any one have any feedback on Prepress 8?

I love Apogee Impose! Set up hot tickets and the automation takes over. I haven't used Preps since! Prepress 7 works great also, especially with native PDF transparency. Apogee has come along way since version 1, which was horrible from a RAMpage user's point of view!

Last edited:
AFAIK, Prepress 8 has not been officially released yet (at least in the US???).

To answer your question though, we love Impose and have been using it for almost 2 years. Granted, it's not perfect (but neither was Preps), but in our opinion, there are many things Impose can do faster than Preps. Here are just a few things:

1. Collation/signature marks is a checkbox.
2. In a bound job with multiple sheets, you can repeat the imposition from one sheet to another (page numbers automatically update too!).
3. If a page size changes, crop marks automatically move with the page size.
4. Page numbering in a bound job is handled by folding schemes with just a couple of mouse clicks (no manual numbering of pages (1, 4, 5, 8, etc.)).
5. Auto imposition (more control over this has been added in 8). A whole job can be imposed with just a few mouse clicks!

Hope this helps,
hp

Over the years I have used signastation, preps and Apogee impose. From my perspective, apogee impose is head and shoulders above the others. Its not perfect, but its getting there. When we upgraded and first started using impose, the plan was to hang on to preps and upgraded preps too. With hindsight, this was a waste of money - preps has stayed in the box since.

Played with Apogee Impose in Apogee (Prepress) version 7. Would not work for our purposes. Since everything was based on folds, it would not support impositions for web presses. Don't know if this has changed.

Played with Apogee Impose in Apogee (Prepress) version 7. Would not work for our purposes. Since everything was based on folds, it would not support impositions for web presses. Don't know if this has changed.

Apogee Impose in Prepress 8 has full support for web printing as well as special covers and unbound folded work. Time to take another look.

In the strictest sense Apogee Impose can not mix bound and unbound work in the same job or on the same sheet. However it can in all likely hood build the imposition you need.

In the strictest sense Apogee Impose can not mix bound and unbound work in the same job or on the same sheet. However it can in all likely hood build the imposition you need.

So it has a template editor (Preps terminology) that will construct a mixed binding template that cannot be used for output with real pages?

Al

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back