Apogee Prepress Proofing

Magnus

I've recently changed firm from a place were we used GMG ColorProof and EFI to make calibrated proofs on Epson-printers. Both GMG and EFI have an option to put "noise" in the print to simulate paper structure and screen of an offset print. This is a great feature espacially when you simulate uncoated stock.

In this new company we are using Agfa Apogee Prepress to proof on Epson 4900 and 9900 on both semigloss and matte coated proofing papers. We calibrate to match Fogra standard and all values are fine. But since there doesn't seem to be any "noise-function" in the Apogee RIP the simulation on matte coated (to match uncoated offset) looks really flat and not at all like an offset print. When you measure the colors and compare ∆E everything is great but the visual match is crap. Do any apogee-users know how to fix this issue or do you just live with it?

And if any AGFA-folks read this: PLEASE add a noise-function for the next version of Apogee Prepress.

Why would you want to use a "coated" type stock for uncoated proofs?

With Apogee and ColorTune, I use an "uncoated" (does have an inkjet coating) style of proofing paper that passes PSO Uncoated standards with some profiling. Looks great compared to uncoated press work.C/J HI-RES 90GSM 914X45

Why would you want to use a "coated" type stock for uncoated proofs?

With Apogee and ColorTune, I use an "uncoated" (does have an inkjet coating) style of proofing paper that passes PSO Uncoated standards with some profiling. Looks great compared to uncoated press work.C/J HI-RES 90GSM 914X45

Were did I say that I use "coated" typ stock for uncoated proofs? We are using a matte coated proofing paper such as EFI 9120XF. I don't think there is any uncoated proofing papers for Epson water based ink as far as I know.. (the link that you refering to is also matte coated).

Please post an side by side photo of your offset print beside your proof if you got a spared minute.

Best regards,

Anyoing since there is a solution in the GMG and EFI-rip.

CGS ColorTuner Web also has a “noise” filter option (separate combos of C, M, Y or K with different % per channel or CMYK noise). There is also the option to emulate halftones or proof 1 bit screened plate data).

Kodak Proofing Software does not have a generic “noise” feature, however it does have a “substrate emulation” option to simulate mottle, grain and/or fluting in corrugated substrates (in addition to halftone simulation or proofing 1 bit screened plate data).

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back