Apple screwed the pooch (OS 10.6.3 update)

CS2 seems to be working with no problems with 10.6.3. Just tried it out on my home computer (27" iMac i5) CS4 is working with no problems with the 10.6.3 update and have had no noticeable issues so far with the update.

Lol well done Apple, first Helvetica Neue screwup and now this. Methinks us pre-press guys are hanging off the bottom rung of the apple customer ladder with our fingertips.

Luckily I read this on another forum and swear not to update snow leopard unless absolutely necessary.

If you have recommendations for Apple, please let them know at apple.com/feedback

I have recommended for them to implement export of PDF/X-4 instead of printing PDF/X-3 (forgot to mention bleeds and marks would be nice to have).

You can let them know that they could use Apple Helvetica and Apple Times, so that their names don't screw up every prepress in existence.

BTW, when did it become recommended to go ahead and upgrade to Snow Leopard for prepress?

Regards,

Don

Last edited:
Since starting this thread I've found the problem to this is if your Mac either has no serial number or one longer than 12 characters is the problem. This happens if you've had the logic board replaced and the tech did not put in the serial number which is exactly my problem. It has been said you can take your Mac to an Apple Store and they can enter the serial number but I would imagine you would have to pay to have this done. I don't have an Apple Store within 125 miles so I'll most likely just stick with 10.6.2. It's great knowing I can never update my Mac past that version. :mad:

For what it's worth, we run predominantly 10.6.3 and have users using both CS3 and CS4 with no problems. As far as I can tell, Apple didn't screw any pooch here.

As far as SL for prepress work in general, there's no way I would go back. Yeah, it took a little work to reconfigure our old AppleTalk-based printer queues to use IP printing instead, but for me the speed, improvements in search and other refinements to the Finder have been well worth some minor upgrade issues. Honestly, I think my production Mac today is the most stable machine I've ever used. (It's a 3 year old Mac Pro with a double dual cores and 10 GB RAM if anyone's curious.)

Wow I just noticed my G5, that also had the logic board replaced also has no serial number. Found this online Security: Hardware Serial Numbers

I found a utility online that they say will let you enter a serial number to your Mac (Intel only though). I'm afraid to try it though. I'd hate to render my Mac useless so for now I've reverted back to 10.6.2.

For what it's worth, we run predominantly 10.6.3 and have users using both CS3 and CS4 with no problems. As far as I can tell, Apple didn't screw any pooch here.

Obviously you don't have the serial number issue. Great for you. Doesn't help me at all though.

I found a utility online that they say will let you enter a serial number to your Mac (Intel only though). I'm afraid to try it though. I'd hate to render my Mac useless so for now I've reverted back to 10.6.2.

Obviously you don't have the serial number issue. Great for you. Doesn't help me at all though.

I've been chatting with an Apple employee about that, and he's of the consensus that's an Adobe issue probably related to software authentication checks. He said re-serializing replaced logic boards wasn't something Apple did as a matter of course until recently.

My guess is Adobe with CS3 was using some now-deprecated method of pulling the information it needs and Apple changed something with 10.6.3 about how that info is available. Apple probably provided plenty of warnings about deprecated APIs well before it happened, and fixes to CS3 aren't exactly high-priority for Adobe. CS3 was probably designed with what, OS X 10.4 in mind? And CS4 obviously uses another method, while CS2 didn't authenticate.

Maybe if Adobe wasn't turning into the type of authentication nazis Quark has always been... :-D

republic,

I know this probably sounds lame, but can you tell me how to "reconfigure our old AppleTalk-based printer queues to use IP printing instead"? I have a NexusRip that broadcasts AppleTalk printers, and even if I were to be able to figure out how to "reconfigure our old AppleTalk-based printer queues to use IP printing instead", I'm not sure it would really help me (because of Nexus).

We don't have support contract for Nexus anymore, so I will probably be stuck with this older version for awhile. Right now I'm using hotfolders in Leopard (went ahead and quit using printers because I figured I'd have to if I wanted to ever upgrade to Snow Leopard).

Any thoughts on the matter which might help me be able to use printers and not have to resort to hotfolders?

BTW, I use Parallels Desktop 5 to run Nexus in Windows on my Mac Pro.

It's not that big a deal either way, I was just wondering.

Thanks and regards,

Don

As far as SL for prepress work in general, there's no way I would go back. Yeah, it took a little work to reconfigure our old AppleTalk-based printer queues to use IP printing instead, but for me the speed, improvements in search and other refinements to the Finder have been well worth some minor upgrade issues. Honestly, I think my production Mac today is the most stable machine I've ever used. (It's a 3 year old Mac Pro with a double dual cores and 10 GB RAM if anyone's curious.)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back