Archiving RIP data?

Cory Smith

Do you archive your riped data? if so what steps to you take to take to archive the rip data and recover it?

I've been entertaining the idea since we are getting more and more exact reprint jobs, but not sure of the best way to implement it.

Re: Archiving RIP data?

We don't archive our RIP data, we archive the PDFs that we print from to create that RIP data. Archiving the RIP data was something we tossed around as well, but it was just too much data to maintain.

Are you talking about the RIP data for the individual pages, or the RIP data for the imposed file (Which is called RSI data) ?

RIP data for the imposed file would be sufficient, just something so we wouldn't have to re-rip a job if it comes back through as a reprint.

Yes we do!. We archive the Tiff-B files on our Meta Shooter (the PC that controls the Platesetter).

The MetaDimension Rip is configured to Copy each Tiff-B to a separate folder on the Shooter, and once a week I browse through that folder and delete any Tiff-B files that will never be reprinted. If we have a reprint we simply drag-and-drop the Tiff-B files on a hotfolder.

> {quote:title=jonkovach wrote:}{quote}
> Wow, was I off on that answer. My apologies!

Apologize for what? I'm not sure what you mean...

Well, I run an Onyx RIP and we print to inkjets.... and we run a full PDF/EPS/TIF workflow.... so instead of saving the RIP data, we save the original data.... but we also re-RIP everytime we print again....
I was just surprised how off base my answer was.

Don't be to hard on yourself :)

I also save the original data of all jobs we print. The Tiff-B archive is just an extra archive we use for jobs that tend to get reprinted on a regular base. It just saves time, thats all.

I don't think it's enough to archive just the flats.

We archive Rsi data for pages and flats then if a job reprints exactly as it was imposed before we restore the pages and flats, but if the job reprints with a different impo we restore just pages and re-impose. We also archive the Preps templates & jobs so we can even work with what we had and make minor changes. instead of starting over completely

As for it being too much data to maintain I don't agree. If I know I can restore a job and it will be 100% the same I'd rather pay for the infrastructure to support it.

We use a dual-drive LTO-3 library with 24 slots. It's fast, hold masses of data and we can easily create duplicates which we do for all our archives. Not cheap but well worth it.

Edited by: Colin Gilham on Nov 29, 2007 10:48 AM

do you archive the flats with the native files? or keep them separate?

what is your process to archive the RSI folders? Is it a manual copy?

We use PATHway to create jobs and to archive. The Rampage folder structure is created by PATHway and holds all files for the job except Preps templates which are stored in the Preps templates folder.

Using PATHway to archive keeps the folder structure intact and just moves it out of the Rsi Jobs folder into a designated archiving folder. We have a second folder to which we manually move Preps templates.

Both these folders are set as sources for our archiving script.

Edited by: Colin Gilham on Nov 29, 2007 6:06 PM

Cory,

Archive the 1 bit tiff plate files. We have been archiving the 1 bit tiffs to CD or DVD directly from our CTP device for over 4 years. The media then goes into our job jacket, which is pulled as history on the next order, and transferred to the new ticket. Very clean and efficient and handled entirely in the plate room without running the job back through prepress.

Connie

I'll second Colin's reply- PATHway w/ RAMpage is awesome. what I do is choose which jobs may become exact reprints and archive the RSI data at the end of every month.
when this reprint comes along a month, a year, whenever, I resurrect the RSI data and make the plates.

We used to archive and keep both RIPped data. The imposed and singles. We now keep everything live and using a tape back up. After the job is billed, the RIP DATA is moved out of the volume into the job on the server. We'll move the files to another server after a few months. Once it gets to be a couple of years old, not used, we'll delete and save it on tape/DVD (both).

The PDF is just one extra step and saved with the job just in case we change hardware.

Frank

Reprint data won't link to PREPS template when Main folder name is changed

Reprint data won't link to PREPS template when Main folder name is changed

I am having an issue with PREPS not relinking to files when the main folder name is changed. We do a lot of reprints and the job number changes. But sometimes when I change the folder name it won't link to the pages unless you select each one, one at a time! A real problem when we are talking hundreds of pages, and there have been adjustments made to the pages, such as scale or position, that needs to be maintained.

Any ideas on why this happens and how to correct it?

We use Prinergy EVO and all pages are refined pdf's.

We also use PATHway to archive our native files as well as our RSI Data to an Archive volume. We can then import the pages and or imposed flats as we need them. As for the files not linking after changing the folder name you will need to recreate your FPO files to the new named folder for Rampage to find the high res RSI data.

I am having an issue with PREPS not relinking to files when the main folder name is changed. We do a lot of reprints and the job number changes. But sometimes when I change the folder name it won't link to the pages unless you select each one, one at a time! A real problem when we are talking hundreds of pages, and there have been adjustments made to the pages, such as scale or position, that needs to be maintained.

Any ideas on why this happens and how to correct it?

Is Preps linking to the PDFs in a subfolder? If so, that's the problem. If the PDFs reside in the same directory as the Preps job, then Preps will find it but if there is another folder to look into, you destroy the path integrity when you rename the outermost folder.

Yes, the files are in a subfolder, but the process works most of the time. It will ask for the first page and then find the balance automatically. The only thing that changes is the main folder, all the contents stay the same. I have noticed lately that it will also ask for pages in a random order, page 80, page 12, page 43, etc. When I view the .job file in a text editor it shows the pages out of order. Not sure why this is happening either.

Can't help with the the random order page issue, but think of the subfolder issue this way:

When you open a Preps job, Preps looks for your page files by following the full original path to the pages, not a relative path (for example, "JobServer/Customer/12345/final/brochure.pdf", where the main folder is called "12345".) When you change the name of the main folder to something like "67891", Preps is still looking at the full original path "JobServer/Customer/12345/final/brochure.pdf" when you have now changed it to "JobServer/Customer/67891/final/brochure.pdf".

As mentioned, Preps will also look within the same folder as the Preps job, so if you moved "brochure.pdf" so it is with the Preps job, it will find it automatically.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back