Avantra 25E / Viper Rip setup problems

KnytFyre

Hello Print Planet. I'm hoping someone here can help me out with my problem.
My company recently picked up a second hand Agfa SelectSet Avantra 25E to use as our new film imagesetter. We are attempting to set it up on our old Mac G3, running OS 8.6 with Agfa Viper RIP 1.9. This set up was formally used to run our Agfa Accuset 1500 plus. This is something I have never done, and my boss, who is helping with the set up, last did anything like this over 5 years ago. The issue we are running into is that the RIP can see the Avantra and reports an idle engine, but the graphic for the imagesetter shows a question mark over it. The Avantra will produce a test page locally just fine, but when a postscript is dropped in the RIP's hot folder, it will get to 1% imaging, then hang up. I know we must be missing something simple, but our inexperience has us unable to find it.

If someone is able, I would really appreciate some direction here, or even a step by step instruction in how to get the RIP to recognize the Avantra as the current engine. It would be best if it were written as to someone that has little experience in these matters, because as mentioned above, that is an accurate assessment. I am PC literate, but Mac's have never been something I needed to do much set up with.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Oh, that's quite possible your RIP dongle works with Accuset imagesetters only (cheaper version of RIP).
And your RIP is like a dino ages old, supporting PS Level 2 only.

Last edited:
Thanks Vlad, we had began to wonder about that ourselves. (Actually neither of us knew the dongle might be for a specific Imagesetter, but makes sense). The information has given us what we need to know what steps to take next. I wanted to take a quick moment to thank you for your assistance. Have a great day, a Merry Christmas, and a Happy and prosperous New Year.

Dear All Peers

I have Agfa Galileo VS 8 UP with LP 82 Processor + stacker.

Now i have two problem :

- My RIP PowerEdge is damaged, i need to reinstall all but i d'ont have the DVD INSTALL for :
Galileo Engine Control and PDF RIP 2 I have he Wibu Dongle. THe printDrive 3 i have.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back