Avantra 44 bridge not going light

mac_man_luke

We have an Agfa Avantra 44 and recently started to have a problem with the bridge

Its not going light when activating it but the motor is working and activating the sensor.

No errors at all.

Just staying heavy requiring 2 people lift to change the film.

Any suggestions?

Since you are getting no errors. The problem you're having with the bridge will be one of the following.
1. One of the Gas Shocks not connected to bridge
2. Bridge shuttle gear loose that drive gas shock on left side of bridge.

STSTech

Both shocks are connected but
the one on the left is only haft screwed in at each end and if you screw it tight on one end the other falls out
and it is a bit sloppy - believe it should be wanting to pull in? which it does not appear to be doing.
right side is tight and fully screwed in and appears to be under tension but is a little oily on so maybe leaking?

Gears look ok but will test run them once the machine is on with the cover off.

took a photo of the left side - is the cable meant to do something? not sure if its moving at all.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/170e42wchctttet/IMG_1984.JPG

Gears work fine

Left gas strut is stuffed, removed it and can pull it in and out no issues.

Will do both if i can get hold of them at a reasonable price (not likely knowing agfa!!)

The gas struts should be very hard to move in and out, almost impossible to move manually.

What you many want to do is watch the movement of the struts when you go from heavy to lite mode.

STSTech

Heavy mode

Heavy mode

The gas struts should be very hard to move in and out, almost impossible to move manually.

What you many want to do is watch the movement of the struts when you go from heavy to lite mode.

STSTech

Similar situation, but am sure that the shocks are bad. My wire cable is not connected, what function does it perform? Anyone know where to purchase bridge shocks besides Agfa?

Unless you are extremely muscular then the shock won't move in and out (it is rated at something in excess of 100 lbs. of pull force). If the right shock is oily then it too is bad and you will need to replace both. I presume that the wire cable you refer to is on the left side of the bridge. If that is the case the cable is used to lock the "foot" of the bridge onto the the upper part of the bridge. This to to not allow you to disconnect the "foot" when the bridge is in light mode as the upper part of bridge will rise very rapidly, possible injuring the operator. As for source and price, the shock are expensive. Lowest cost I've found is around $400 each plus shipping.

Shocks are definitely bad, replacing both.

AGFA quoted over AU$1000 but a local company is making me a pair for AU$100 each

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back