Azura Plates 400 LPI Hybrid Screen .

padrao

Hello to all .One thing is confusing me .
If the Azura plate only old 2% to 98% and one maximum of 240 Lpi, what coud be wrong if i send one job with Hybrid Screen of 400 Lpi. Is the plate ok for this kind of screen ??
I have some costumers working like this without any problem,but this make me think .

CTP is Suprasetter 74, calibrated plates with dot gain control done .

What happends to the printing lengh , it will be the same 100.000 sheets ?? Or Less .

Best Regards

Jorge Azevedo
Grafopel

Jorge:

Azura is a piece within a qualified system.
Within typical circumstances, to attain published
specifications, a set configuration is qualified.

There are indeed a wide variety of applications
in use with Azura. An early field test site on a
competitive device does 20 micron FM screening on
a regular basis, but does experience run lengths
short of the 100,000 rating.

This site does no more than 50,000 impressions,
and within this application, he is quite happy with
Azura - now going on 4 years.

Outside of the qualified specs and rating, your
mileage may vary. The best bet is to try the
plate within the application/environment, and
work closely with your local Agfa plate technical
resources.

Regards,

Azura 400 lpi hybrid screen .

Ok i understand the impressions are smaller, but all the problems we had faced is regarding the backgrouds lets says 40 % with one color job. I see the backgroud is not equal and smooth like the same job printed on 200 LPI .
There are some spots,darker areas or banding . This can be caused by the press machine , like blankets or other
But on images without any backgroud is super ! ! !

Any ideas are wellcome .

Jorge Azevedo

Jorge:

Azura is a piece within a qualified system.
Within typical circumstances, to attain published
specifications, a set configuration is qualified.

There are indeed a wide variety of applications
in use with Azura. An early field test site on a
competitive device does 20 micron FM screening on
a regular basis, but does experience run lengths
short of the 100,000 rating.

This site does no more than 50,000 impressions,
and within this application, he is quite happy with
Azura - now going on 4 years.

Outside of the qualified specs and rating, your
mileage may vary. The best bet is to try the
plate within the application/environment, and
work closely with your local Agfa plate technical
resources.

Regards,

Padrao:

By your comment that the screening was hybrid -
I suspected that the minimum dot size was around
20 or 21 microns (about 2% dot at 175 lpi).

If your screening is trying to call for an even smaller
dot as it constructs the highlights or light tints, then
Azura is not rated to handle a 10 micron spot.

However, before we blame the plates, the higher
the line screen, the tighter the pressroom controls
necessary. Does the press print in grey balance
across the sheet at 175 lpi? If not, and there are
fluctuations once set, then you might be looking
at press limitations or a press not in the condition
necessary to hold finer work consistenty.

Regards,

Hi Jorge,

Just expanding on what SteveAgfa wrote.
I think you need to separate the plate imaging from press imaging.
In simple terms, perhaps image a 40% or 50% screen tint across the entire plate at whatever lpi you use. Measure (with a proper plate measuring device) the screen tint value at, at least the 4 corners and center of the plate. Don't include images as they can mask issues. The screen tint value at all points measured on the plate should be the same. There should be no banding (lines in the direction of imaging). If there are issues at this point, then you might need to involve Agfa's service folk to sort out the problem.
If you don't see issues with the plate imaging then go on press to understand why there is variations in tonality.. Does banding show up on press? is it in the direction of the sheet or across the width of the press sheet? Do areas across the press sheet vary in tone? etc.

best, gordo

Thanks Gordon (good to see you at the show!)

As a point of reference, the device in question
is a Suprasetter 74... so he'd need to call his
HDM resources.

With Azura, there is a wide exposure latitude -
30mJ cm2 on either side of ideal. Therefore,
given that the exposure is set correctly (cheating
down toward the faster end of the range), the
plate patches should be measuring evenly across
the plate.

Our newer Azura TS uses the same Thermofuse
technology, so this extreme imaging latitute continues.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Hi Jorge,

Just back into Atlanta after Graph Expo. With our certification, the Suprasetter and the Azura are rated to 250 line screen with Prinect Hybrid.

This does not mean the Suprasetter is not capable of 400 line screen, it is when combined with a plate such as our Thermoplate PN.

Each plate has it own attributes, with Azura being chemfree while the Thermoplate PN is a chemistry plate with very high resolution.

For additional details, please contact your local Heidelberg organization, I am sure they will be glad to help you.

Regards,

Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA
Product Manager, CtP & Proofing

Hello to all, thanks for your quuick answers .
Hello Mark Tonkovich, we , work for the same company, HEIDELBERG , i already know the Azura only can do 240 LPI for normal screening and 250 LPI on Hybrid . Yesterday i was on the costumer with our printer and even for the 250 Hibrid , the final results on the backgroud 68% of dot, the final result was not good .
the backgroud was made only in Black color, but is not so smooth like on the normal secreening IS Classic 200 LPI , i can see some areas darker, like stripes on the lengh of the plate .
For the 250 LPI i configured the metadimension , as hybrid screen 250 LPI spot size 24 microns .
And the final result it was the same like i had for 400 LPI .
I will try to meke the same jogb on one Thermoplete to check if it is one problem with plate .
I have mesured the plate, on the 68 % i have the same value on all the plate , so it can be a problem on the press , blanket ....

Thanks for all

Jorge Azevedo

Hi Jorge,

Just back into Atlanta after Graph Expo. With our certification, the Suprasetter and the Azura are rated to 250 line screen with Prinect Hybrid.

This does not mean the Suprasetter is not capable of 400 line screen, it is when combined with a plate such as our Thermoplate PN.

Each plate has it own attributes, with Azura being chemfree while the Thermoplate PN is a chemistry plate with very high resolution.

For additional details, please contact your local Heidelberg organization, I am sure they will be glad to help you.

Regards,

Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA
Product Manager, CtP & Proofing

Hi Jorge,

We have been printing 250 line Hybrid with Chemfree for close to two years now and do not see that problem. It could be press related, I would recommend you get a press instructor on site to help you.

Regards,

Mark

Last edited:

For the Suprasetter to do 400 lpi doesn't the customer need to purchase a high resolution option? My understanding from talking to Heidelberg at GraphExpo is that the heads have to be specially tuned for high resolution screening.

J

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back