Baum31.5" Cutter or Challenge 305 Cutter

Which do you think is better, the Baum31.5 or Challenge 305 cutter. We cut primarily gloss paper for almost 6-7 hours each day. Both of these cutters seem nearly identical in price and specs. Am I missing something or is it a Pepsi and Coke thing?

This is always a good question.
If I compare machines I take a look at the second hand prices. The price and the age of the machine matters. The Baum 31.5 (equivalent to POLAR 80) is built since 2000.
But the service is something which is important as well.

Are the specs really the same? I am asking because I know the small cutters. I think the Baum 31.5 has the fastest backgauge movement and I still wait sometimes for the positioning. What would be if the backgauge is slaw? How often you turn the material every day.
What is the minimum clamp pressure in the Challenge? I cut often very small products and auto copy paper. You need for normal paper and per inch cutting width about 80 lbs.
I like the Baum programming function called block programming, because I cut often business cards and don’t like to program every cutting position. The machine does this for me.

Good luck
Buntpapier

Or the number one in this world, which is Polar.

I don’t know if this helps....................

At the end you have to have the money in the wallet. There are a lot of cutters available, There are cutters which are conform the US law and there cutters which I do not consider as confirm to the US law. I would not buy something cheap from China.

BAUM (which is Polar)
Challenge
Perfecta
Polar
Wohlenberg (which is Perfecta)
These are acceptable names in the US.

Personnel opinions are okay for me and sales arguments as well. But I am not a sales man. I am a trade book binder and a trade mechanic. My point of view based on the thinks I learned and I can proof!
On the other hand there are just two machines which are copied in this world. These are Polar and ITOH. And this is not a personal opinion.

Buntpapier

Tested a black Challenge 26" I believe a few years ago. That cutter runs the hydraulic pump/motor whether or not you are cutting. Yes, it does shut off after a few minutes, but to me it would be very annoying to always have this noise right where you are standing. Bought a used 31.5" due to that and a few other things. The worst part about the Baum is the icons on the buttons don't make sense to most English speaking users. We keep the manual handy for this reason.

BaumCut 31.5 Versus Challenge

BaumCut 31.5 Versus Challenge

I saw your request and here are some comparisons to help you. I first want you to know that I am from BAUM and was personally involved in the design of the BaumCut 31.5 cutter so, yes I am partial to this machine. One thing to consider is what your costs are after the initial purchase.
Knife Change_ The BaumCut has an exclusive eccentric to level the knife that is very simple and less time consuming when checking cut-through from side to side. The Challenge still uses the old system of leveling using two screws from the top of the knife holder, taking more time and skill.

Energy Use-The BaumCut hydraulic system only operates when the cut buttons are pressed. This saves electrical usage and allows the hydraulic oil to last a lot longer. The Challenge has a time-out feature but it still runs after the cut cycle and wears the hydraulic oil more due to the extra heat caused by the extra time. Challenge requires you to change the oil annually. The BaumCut does not require this.

Table Surface Maintenance- The BaumCut is standard with a special stainless, plated table that does not require waxing or cleaning to prevent rust. Challenge offers a stainless table surface but as an option. If you buy the standard table from Challenge, you will have to maintain the table to prevent rust.

False Clamp - The BaumCut false clamp plate is held in place by two spring-loaded detents. YOu can simply install the false clamp plate by hand without the use of any tools. To remove the false clamp, you can use any small round object like and ink pen or pencil to press in on the detents to release the false clamp plate. The spring loaded detents press the tool back out to prevent it from moving up into the knife if your foot slips on the foot pedal to lower the clamp. On the Challenge, they use two separate set screws that require a specific size allen hex key wrench to install and remove the false clamp plate. If the wrench is left in the setscrew, it can move up and damage the knife.

Backgage- The BaumCut has spring-loaded fingers on every finger on the backgauge to prevent the sheets from getting caught under the fingers. Challenge has alternating fingers that are not all spring loaded.

Table Center- The BaumCut does not have a slot in the center of the table. The Challenge has a slot and a belt. Sheets can be turned easier on the BAUM do to less stumbling without the slot in the center of the table. :)

We had to make the same decision and finally chose the Challange 305TC and couldn't be happier. The tipping point for us was the ease of programming with the Challange. It's so simple that anyone in our shop can walk up to it and cut. It didn't have the cutesy icons that Baum had, everything is very straight forward. As for the slot cut in the table, it has not made a difference and we cut almost 7 hours a day with it. The table surface is not an issue, it's a cutter, not a Ferrari. The false clamp hardly comes off and when it does it take less than 2 minutes. The knife change takes about 15 minutes as well.

Both are great cutters, both will last many years. For us the ease of use with the Challenge won.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Baum and Challenge told me its a pretty long wait. Duplo told me a few weeks for their cutter.

We have both of those cutters in our shop. Both are solid machines. On the Baumcut side we have had the piston that pulls the knife back up after the cut blow out on us about 4 times. Not a fun thing to change. The Challenge loves to get sheets stuck under the back gauge. I find that a line forms at the Baum as nobody in the back prefers the challenge. We did have the Baum first so i think its more a comfort thing. The challenge was a relief cutter. I should have bought another Baum just to remain consistent but the price was right.

We have both of those cutters in our shop. Both are solid machines. On the Baumcut side we have had the piston that pulls the knife back up after the cut blow out on us about 4 times. Not a fun thing to change. The Challenge loves to get sheets stuck under the back gauge. I find that a line forms at the Baum as nobody in the back prefers the challenge. We did have the Baum first so i think its more a comfort thing. The challenge was a relief cutter. I should have bought another Baum just to remain consistent but the price was right.

Having the piston blow out sounds terrible and unacceptable. We have a 25 year old hydraulic and programmable 28.5" cutter that was made in Colombia and resold as a Trojan in Canada by the company that makes Gergek computerized cutter controls in Canada and upgraded it to electronic programmable. Troubles with the basic machine are the little $10.00 microswitches going every few years I was able to pick up locally in northern Canada no less. The major issue over the years is the keyboards eventually give trouble and need a rebuild so we kept a spare, but the Canadian manufacturer discontinued the keyboards so we will either need to find some used ones to solder keys in place or pay about 3000 for upgraded computer and keyboard. (after 25 years).

Anyway I really like the 28.5" size as it covers us up to 28 x 40 materials, but if forced to go up to 31.5" (sorry - not thrilled about buying a Challenge due to their refusal to sell replacements to hydraulics they sold that were eventually defective). is the Baum a cheapened version of the Polar and would we be better off to specify Polar?

By way of example, As a print shop and Stationery store we used to sell typewriters. A Japanese company Nakajima made a very good electric typewriter which was also sold as a Sears Celebrity, the Nakajima would run almost forever. The Sears one looked the same outside but on 1 plastic part inside that controlled the striking mechanism they drilled a hole, that 5.00 part would break after a year or so due to that intentional weakening of the part. As we had access to the genuine part it was easy to fix with a 1/2 hour labour thrown in to remove and replace cover and clean a bit. Of course many a person would simply have dumped the typewriter in a waste bin.

So was your issue with the Baum, simply because it had an inferior part put in versus what goes into the Polar or are the Polars equally inferior?

Ours like the Challenge has the 2 screws on back of blade for adjusting level, also has the center slot, things can get under the backgauge, and it has a plate that requires screws removed in order to go less than 2".

However it does go down to about 1.95 " with plate in place so 2" business cards never require removal of Plate, how is the Baum or Polar in that critical situation or is that the reason its necessary to have a plate with no screws because you need to remove it for business cards and it needs to be removed a dozen times a day?

Also the Canadian electronics installer had upgraded it with a Stainless steel top.
All hydraulics were standard U.S. components that never broke, but if they had could be obtained anywhere and our pump only turns on for duration of cut.
The programming while cutting seemed not possible but programming via keyboard works okay, I did not like that it did not have a Last Action Redo which I understand Microcut has, not sure of Baum or Polar? To be used for instance when you start a cut but release before completion, whether slipping or realizing something is not in position desired. They did however have a forward button so your alternative was to cycle through forward until where you were to do the action and continue.
Cutting sticks are square and cut off center line so you get 8 uses per cutting stick.
I am pretty sure our backgauge speed is not up to that of Baum/Polar.
Our operation is running 13x19 maximum now, though we have a old 17x22 AB Dick still sitting in back. The largest sheet we seem to need to cut is the 28" we use for wrap around covers on legal forms.

Incidentally, didn't Polar build a factory in China a few years back?

Suggestions?

Ken Graham
CommunityPrinters.com

Last edited:
Hi Ken!

The cutters named BAUM, Polar and More are the same machines. These machines are all assembled at the Polar factory in Hofheim (Germany). Polar never made small hydraulic cutters in China. There was (for just two years) a machine called QC (quick cutter) for the Chinese market. This machine was technically identically to the 26.4” Baum or Polar cutter and was built in Germany as well.
Polar has nothing to do with Mircocut. Mircocut is a black box for older cutters where you cannot get spare parts for. Polar delivers generally spare parts for 25 years. This means if you buy today a new Baum, Polar or More cutter you will get 2043 still spare parts. Because Polar has no intension to stop the production of the small cutters soon I personally believe you will get spare parts until 2050 for sure. The first Baum 26.4 was delivered in 2002. These customers get for 50 years parts.
On the other side you have in the US as well as in Canada a law which (let’s use friendly words) gives you some restrictions in case of modification on paper cutters because of safety. To avoid discussions with law enforcement organisations (like health and safety institutes) I would never add mircocut to any cutter in North-America.

The official numbers for the smallest cut in a BAUM and Polar 22, 26.4 or 31.5 are:
The minimum cut without false clamp is 0.59” [1.5cm]
The minimum cut with false clamp is 2.0” [5.0cm]
The technical data you get at:
https://www.baumfolder.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/BAUMCUT-E-Fly-Sheet.pdf
Besides the minimum size you have to take care for the clamp pressure adjustment. As smaller the product underneath the clamp gets as lower the clamp pressure has to be! If you force a needle by hand into paper you get a hole. If you force a pen by hand into paper you get a mark. If you force a sledge hammer by hand into paper you get maybe a mark. The minimum clamp pressure is an important feature in a paper cutter.

Which cutter is better? A lot of companies make machines and ALL salesmen tell you their product is the best. They get paid to do so. The second hand marked tells you which is most loved by their owners. The machine with a low price is not eligible. On the other hand you have to calculate how much work you do with this machine. If a machine brakes down you have maybe some cost. First you have to finish the job somehow. Then you have to fix the machine.

Buntpapier

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back