Best noise setting in InDesign CS3?

disbellj

To get around banding/hard edge problem I'm having on a job, could someone recommend the best Noise setting to be used in the Effect in InDesign CS3?

Thanks,

Don

Re: Best noise setting in InDesign CS3?

I fought one that was on press a couple of weeks ago. I didn't fight for long. I just "duplicated" it in Photoshop and replaced it. Will that be possible?

Frank

IF you have a photoshop file, I'd suggest using a gaussian blur. If you're doing a feather in Indesign, may just have to play with it till you get what you want.

Monkey

Thanks guys. Because of the way the customer built it, I'm having trouble. Customer built radial gradient that's over 7 inches wide from 8% black to white, and then put a feather on top of that. It printed. Customer not happy (although the gradient showed banding on the proof they approved), and wants the job reprinted. I've been testing since I posted yesterday, and on this one, if I use the noise in Nexus, 1.2% works. However, I have other pages that I can't add the noise in Nexus because I'm having to output PDF/X-1a and the feather effect becomes CT before ever getting to Nexus (where the one I described above doesn't interact with image, so it stays LW and I can force it to CT in Nexus and add noise. So I wanted to add noise to all in InDesign. I'm just finding that I have to use A LOT more noise in InDesign to even start to get close to the effect Nexus gives with 1.2%. If anyone else has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Cause at this point, if it doesn't work with my testing in InDesign CS3, I will have to recreate in Photoshop (which is my last resort).

Don

Here comes the 2nd session of, "Customer Education".

Can you edit those .ct files and keep the Nexus platform? The old Scitex trick was to use the .ct, add the blur then place it into the document. You now have the blend you need and no longer have to use the RIP for editing.

I had talked to someone using Nexus. He said he couldn't open the .ct in Photoshop. There may be a way to edit the header/code? Is there a way to use or export from Nexus to a file you can use in InDesign?

Frank

I can't open the CT in Photoshop. I was able to remove the feather from the blend so that I could use the keep as LW until it hit Nexus and then make the blend a CT and add noise. The way the customer built it, I it was CT by the time it got to PDF/X-1a and Nexus 7.5 couldn't add noise to the already flattened transparency (because it was CT, not LW). The rest was a plate problem on our end and the customer's printer adding noise we can't add to make it grainier.

Don

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back