Best Printer for $150k or less

printing656

We are looking to print hundreds of thousands of 8.5x11 20lb bond sheets of paper, all with some color on them, every month. We currently have 4 color machines that we are looking to replace. What will be the best machine to accomplish this, day in and day out for $150,000 or less and from your experience, why do you recommend it?
thanks-

Are you looking for multiple machines or a single machine? That will impact both # of RIPs as well as print speed of the device. It might be useful if we know what your current machines are.

Also, will you only ever need to do 8.5x11? Will you ever need to duplex? Do you need any finishing options? What type of work are you printing - more text/graphics or more photo?

Sorry to ask so many questions but with so many different printers out there, more details are needed.

Greg

We're looking for multiple machines with Fiery RIPS but willing to spend up to $150 per machine. We are currently running Canon 9075's and are very displeased with their performance as well as Canon's unwillingness to support their technicians.
The paper size should support 12x18, but it isn't necessary. 99% of the work will be letter size.
thank you-

Yes, about 200,000 sheets today per month and about 400,000 sheets within a year.

From the experience we have with selling and servicing xerox machines, it depends on the structure of the work you do.

In our print shop we have large quantities but composed of very small projects. Generally we try separating the small projects from the large ones. We use dc250's and dc12's for small ones, and the larger projects we do all at once, most of the time after 4pm.

We tend to start the larger equipments once or twice a day, and do at least a stind of thousands. This way we extend the fuser life, and cut down on other maitenance costs.

In regards to your question of the machine, if you will be buying more than 1 machine, try getting different machines, as you can split your work depending on what the customer needs and the machines have to offer.

Regarding the brand With Xerox, the customer is always winning, lot's of dealers lot's of technicians, smaller prices because of competition.

I would look into a cheaper production box:
Xerox:

KM:
6000/7000

Maybe even the Richo 900 box.

Your running all 20# with light coverage so you should have very little issues running that project on any box. The biggest thing would be to find the machine that allows the most input and output capacity with feeders and stackers.

"Your running all 20# with light coverage so you should have very little issues running that project on any box."....wouldn't you think?? But not so with Canon.

I've talked briefly with a Xerox rep, it seemed he was unwilling to lower his prices on clicks which were substantially more than anyone else. I'm looking at KM 7000, but I've been told they will lose their speed due to tray switches (50% loss).

I'm curious about the good and bad with the Ricoh 901.....

I'm not sure how much the presses cost or what our click charges are, but the specs on the Xerox 700 for the 20# on 8.5 x 11 is 70 ppm.

90 ppm. Ricoh 901. It will run 20# bond all day long, FAST!
Now if you were running a lot of solids on 12 x18 then??????

Happyprinter, when you say it will do this all day long, can you back that up with reasoning why? I would have thought all production printers could run some color on 20lb bond all day long, but that isn't so and I've heard many bad things about the 900.
Regarding 12x18, would this machine work to do 10k, or 30k, or 50k sheets per month? There could be solid color fill to only partial color fill.
thanks-

Happyprinter, when you say it will do this all day long, can you back that up with reasoning why? I would have thought all production printers could run some color on 20lb bond all day long, but that isn't so and I've heard many bad things about the 900.
Regarding 12x18, would this machine work to do 10k, or 30k, or 50k sheets per month? There could be solid color fill to only partial color fill.
thanks-

He said the C901, not the C900 - there is as much difference in the 900 to 901 as from the Canon 7000 to the 7010 and the Xerox 700 to the 770.
The 901 is solid in the volume range you are looking at. As with any device, review the service in your area, that is the best factor in picking between engines that meet your basic requirements.

I'm looking at KM 7000, but I've been told they will lose their speed due to tray switches (50% loss).

I'm curious about the good and bad with the Ricoh 901.....

I'm not 100% sure about the KM7000, but I run several 8000s very hard, and tray switching absolutely does not slow the machine down at all.

That kind of volume should be no problem on any WELL MAINTAINED mid level production machine. I used to run KM 6500s and produce well over that volume every month. I would imagine the Konica 6/7000, Xerox 700, Ricoh 901, etc. would be more than capable of that volume if properly maintained.

I'd recommend the Xerox 770, and then run 17x11 if at all possible (to cut clicks and run in half - save money and time).

JayDA-
May I ask, what is the configuration of your KM that could tray switch in the run without any slowdown?

Both my 8000s and 1200s will do it, the 1200 will slow down a bit if you change one of the trays to a heavier weight. I have done runs on both machines pulling from as many as 8 drawers at a time, and it runs full speed. Nothing special about the config, you may have to "lie" to it about the paper weight a bit if you have one sheet that is heavier, but it's never been a problem for me.

Printing656. Sorry for the late reply. I have been out of town. As for the 901 vs. 900 as Joe stated there is a world of difference between the 2 machines. Our 901 has had no issues in running 20# bond at all. The only issues we have had with it is holding big solids on gloss cover. But as with any machine you are going to purchase, it really doesn't matter if you purchase the greatest box in the world if your service is terrible. Better make sure whatever you do that the service will be there when you need them.

That's funny, they practically are trying to give a 900 to me. I keep asking the Ricoh people if there's much of a difference between the two machines and they refuse to say they are 2 totally different machines. They continue to say they are identical except for the oiless toner. I'm aware of a similar shop doing 20lb bond on 900's and having no luck whatsoever.
Last week some very significant advancements were made with our current machines. I think I will stick with what I've got as long as they continue to perform.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back