Best software for Eye One Pro 2?

Magnus

A few years back I used a software called "i1 Share" with my i1Pro. This was a great software for spot-measureing if you wanted a quick ∆E comparision or a value converted to a specific CMYK-profile. It seems like i1 Share isn't supported anymore and the latest version doesn't work on the new intel-Macs.

I use i1Profiler for more advanced tasks but a would really need something quicker like i1 Share.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Perhaps not the “best” software for i1, however for a simple spot measurement I simply use the free X-Rite ColorPort software (create a single patch chart). I then manually plug the numbers into a free Mac app “DeltaE” (paid versions available for iOS or Android devices). Not the most productive workflow, however I don’t have to make many spot measurements and I am happy with how it works. I never liked the “Kai Krausse GUI” inspired i1 Share interface.

ColorPort Utility Software | X-Rite
Download Deltae 1.1 (Mac)

Stephen Marsh

I feel for you, Magnus. I miss i1Share too. It's very annoying that X-Rite dropped support for it, and their alternatives are simply useless in a production environment.

One good alternative is SpectraShop from Robin Myers. It costs $95, and from its demo it seems like a very good product and rich in features.

Personally, I use Argyll CMS which is a free, command-line based color management system, and it does a great job all around. It's technical and not very much intuitive, and doesn't have a graphical user interface, but I still prefer it to X-Rite's toy products (such as i1Profiler) any day.

By the way, I have it on my to-do list to write a similar freeware to i1Share, but I haven't even started it yet...

Thanks for your replys Stephen and Schnitzel. The ColorPort/Deltae solution is to slow for my porpouses and I wont get a grip around the SpectraShop interface (can I even convert to CMYK?). Im thinking of setting up an old PC or Mac with i1 Share if theres no good alternatives (but i1 Share probably wont recon my i1 Pro2?). At the moment I use my Techkon SpectroDens and convert the Lab in Photoshop when I need to convert from Lab to CMYK.. :)

More suggestions of similar software are most welcome!

I feel your pain Magnus! I have asked xRite about this and I was told a future release of i1Profiler will include a function similar to the ColorPicker module that was offered with the ProfileMaker software (which is what I always used for breaking down spot measurements.) I too, have thought about running the old OS and using an older i1 with i1Share, but have opted for the cumbersome ColorPort/Photoshop so we can use our i1 Pro2. If we were all to inquire with xRite about this maybe they would see it as a priority?
Regards,
Todd

I feel your pain Magnus! I have asked xRite about this and I was told a future release of i1Profiler will include a function similar to the ColorPicker module that was offered with the ProfileMaker software (which is what I always used for breaking down spot measurements.) I too, have thought about running the old OS and using an older i1 with i1Share, but have opted for the cumbersome ColorPort/Photoshop so we can use our i1 Pro2. If we were all to inquire with xRite about this maybe they would see it as a priority?
Regards,
Todd

Great info Todd, I hope Xrite will release a feature like this in the next i1Profiler version. I hate when they stop supporting one feature thats not anywhere to be find in the new software... :(

It really sucks when you loose a bunch of good utilities with system upgrades. The X-rite exact has this built in without a computer, X-rite was at our site and demoed it when Esko were showing their fixed palette-ink printing seminar just recently.Is the i1 the only measuring device you have?Hope you know of ColorThinkPro, great for analysis but wish it also could capture analysis.The colour port has some hidden nice utilities, but you need a target (you can make yourself if you need) select a patch and in the measurement box click the ( i ) icon to get info on the patch. where you see the Lab and if captured spectral data…*but not so fast for comparing :(Profilemaker had those kind of tools and Monaco ColorShopX but they don't work with Maveric :(

It really sucks when you loose a bunch of good utilities with system upgrades. The X-rite exact has this built in without a computer, X-rite was at our site and demoed it when Esko were showing their fixed palette-ink printing seminar just recently.Is the i1 the only measuring device you have?Hope you know of ColorThinkPro, great for analysis but wish it also could capture analysis.The colour port has some hidden nice utilities, but you need a target (you can make yourself if you need) select a patch and in the measurement box click the ( i ) icon to get info on the patch. where you see the Lab and if captured spectral data…*but not so fast for comparing :(Profilemaker had those kind of tools and Monaco ColorShopX but they don't work with Maveric :(

Oh I didn't know about the X-rite Exact. It looks like a great tool. I have several instruments, Techkon SpectroDens, i1 Pro, i1 Pro 2, SpectroProofer. I haven't tried ColorThinkPro, just watched the videos and it looks like a great tool for color nerds like us. And if you would like to explain to people how colormanagement works, but I don't think I really "need" it for my daily production. Maybe I buy it anyway.. :)

Thanks for the input!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back