Best solvent wide format printer

Brett S

We are an offset printer that has been vending our poster/banner requests for the last 3 years. Due to quality, pricing and turn around issues it is time to get into this market. The majority of our requests (80-85%) are for 18x24/24x36 and 36x48 poster that print, print and mount to foam core or sintra and 50/50 on lamination. The remaining requests (only 15-20%) are for window scrim, static clings and outdoor banners. We are trying to narrow the search and have found the Epson GS6000 for the printing, along with a Seal 54EL for over laminating/mounting and a Javelin Xtra cutter. I am willing to consider other alternatives that compare in quality and cost from Roland, Mimika, Mutoh, etc. We can lease this Epson package through xpedx at a pretty affodable price or buy it outright.

Any thoughts? willing to get used equipment as well...but several posts i have seen say that is a bad idea. Not sure if that refers to just the printers or the finishing equipment as well.

Don't want to make a mistake on the equipment side or overlook a manufacturer. Thanks for your help.

We have a Roland VS-640, prints great and really haven't had any maintenance issues in the 2 years we've had it, but if I were to buy a new one today I'd almost definitely go with an HP L26500 latex printer with a Caldera RIP. Pair it up with a Graphitex or Roland cutter and a Royal Sovereign or Seal laminator and you're set as far as your main equipment goes.

Roland VS-640 is awesome.. not the fastest (nor slowest) but great quality and Rolands are super reliable.
ive been runnning them for 10 years. only needed tech support every 24months avg.. and usually something very minor

also Seal Base 62 is awesome

my 2¢...

We have 5 Epson GS6000's. One out of the 5 is our problem child. Tech has been out and replaced pretty much the whole printer. However,
the other 4 have not had any issues whatsoever. Also, we run them as fast as we can and still get pretty decent quality, but if you run at 1440, pretty awesome print. We mainly run adhesive vinyl, and window perf.

We run an Epson GS 6000 and love it. The quality is great on anything we put thru it. Canvas, vinyl banner and adhesive, window perf, paper. It does it all. Only had two issues in 2 years. One head replacement and a power surge knocked out a board, our fault for not having a surge protector, lesson learned.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back