Bleeds from powerpoint file

allegrich

can we print slides, or create a PDF of same, with bleeds from a powerpoint file?

Our customer draws art beyond the layout and wants to have a bleed on his product. He claims to be able to print with bleeds but cannot create a PDF with bleeds to send to us. I cannot figure out what settings to manipulate to get a bleed.

Additionally the customer's PDF represents transparency effects while our PDF, or printing to color copier, cannot represent transparency (those effects turn to white). It seems like transparency effect issue may be a post-script language issue, but I am not sure. I don't work much with PowerPoint, so I am at a loss on this one.

We've got pitstop and have done the deed once it's a PDF, when we have the time.
However, the time and resource demands of this series of tasks do not permit much beyond a few clicks in the right places to get it going.

respectfully,
rich

The big problem you have is all of the masks that are used at the edges. Once those are released/removed then you can do it. It might be possible to write an action list to do this.

If you have a Fiery, there is a setting "remove white powerpoint background" or something similar that helps us with transparency issues from time to time. Not sure if this will help you, certainly won't help the pdf situation, but thought I would throw it out there.....

Powerpoint is popular, but like Tuna, is not a very good design too for print

Powerpoint is popular, but like Tuna, is not a very good design too for print

can we print slides, or create a PDF of same, with bleeds from a powerpoint file?

Our customer draws art beyond the layout and wants to have a bleed on his product. He claims to be able to print with bleeds but cannot create a PDF with bleeds to send to us. I cannot figure out what settings to manipulate to get a bleed.

Additionally the customer's PDF represents transparency effects while our PDF, or printing to color copier, cannot represent transparency (those effects turn to white). It seems like transparency effect issue may be a post-script language issue, but I am not sure. I don't work much with PowerPoint, so I am at a loss on this one.

Okay, so this customer can't be persuaded to use a design application that offers bleed, and even though they can't seem to coax bleed to appear in a PDF using their current approach, this is quickly remedied by asking them to making the document size the bleed size, then simply add a trimbox to the PDF.

Related to transparency setting being ignored, yes, many RIPS do not support transparency. P would need to be process PDF files - or - flatten to PDF/X BEFORE sending it into production. Even if you save out the PDF to PDF/X-1a (Where Acrobat would flatten the transparency) - you may find that your RIP may not support overprints either - many office copier RIPS do not support all of the PostScript language.

Try asking your customer to build to bleed, then flatten and add trimmarks in Acrobat, and see if this improves your results.

Hope this helps !

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back