Books cut in polar *need advice*

Gal

Hey guys
So,
We print lot of books with 100pages sometimes less sometimes more.
we need to cut the book sides after we staple or put glue.
We cut the books with guillotine polar.
The thing is that the books are torn apart at the sides while we cut *include photos*
I cut 1 book at the time. The books are with laminate. also without it is the same result.
Do you have any advice what i can do? thank you.

Gal.

Attachments

• IMG_7685.jpg
    IMG_7685.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 391
  • IMG_7686.jpg
    IMG_7686.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 359
Couple thoughts. Make sure the blade is sharp. Try turning the books so the spine is facing the opposite direction in the cutter. Also check clamp pressure.

Last edited:
Yes I get this same problem to varying degree. No quick easy fix but I concur with Keith. I have a printer friend with a duplo. . I know this does not help with the glued books but for the saddled stitched ones it's a breeze. It's just a front edge knife trimer. Trim two long edges to finished size. Wack in Duplo. Duplo folds, staples and takes a trim off the leady edge. Done and dusted. Just a thought.

Looks like the spine is not opposite to the blade travel direction to me, so it's allowing it to tear. Make sure blade is sharp and the blade travel direction is towards the spine.

Thank you for the replays.
The knife is brand new polar sharp knife i use for the books.
i try both sides of the spine to cut and the book still wrap.

BigSi is right. Cut the head and foot before stitching, as flat sheets, then only the face trim after collating and binding. Or invest in a 3 knife trimmer.

Is the tearing occurring on the top or bottom side of the book you are cutting? I would guess it's the bottom.

BigSi is right. Cut the head and foot before stitching, as flat sheets, then only the face trim after collating and binding. Or invest in a 3 knife trimmer.
Hey. i cant do it. i make the booklet with the C6100 konica and SD513, the book comes out with stitching already.

Is the tearing occurring on the top or bottom side of the book you are cutting? I would guess it's the bottom.
Both.

I should have been more specific maybe. To be clear, what I was asking was is the tearing happening on the side of the book that is against the cutter table or clamp?

By the way, we make perfect bound books with film lam or UV on our covers, and use a 3 knife trimmer. I've encountered this issue many times without a solid resolution. Sharp knives, trimming pile height, clamping block size, amount of head and foot trim, etc. have all been looked at. Only consistent answer we came up with was the influence the interior paper had on the problem. Same knives, same trim size, same cover paper, different interior stock, no tearing. You appear to be trimming saddlestitched booklets, which differs from mine. It's not an answer to your problem, I know, but maybe this will give you some direction.

You say you cut 1 at a time. What happens when you cut 2 or more at a time? Do all the books in the stack tear?

I should have been more specific maybe. To be clear, what I was asking was is the tearing happening on the side of the book that is against the cutter table or clamp?

By the way, we make perfect bound books with film lam or UV on our covers, and use a 3 knife trimmer. I've encountered this issue many times without a solid resolution. Sharp knives, trimming pile height, clamping block size, amount of head and foot trim, etc. have all been looked at. Only consistent answer we came up with was the influence the interior paper had on the problem. Same knives, same trim size, same cover paper, different interior stock, no tearing. You appear to be trimming saddlestitched booklets, which differs from mine. It's not an answer to your problem, I know, but maybe this will give you some direction.

You say you cut 1 at a time. What happens when you cut 2 or more at a time? Do all the books in the stack tear?
Hey thank you for the answer i have will take consider on everything!
About the books cut when i cut 2 or more even 10 it still cuts the corner.
what i found the last day that when i make booklet with square spine the spine dont break and more easy to cut.

Hi sir:

Attached is there the manual from Polar: Cutting in Practice

Hope you enjoy it

[email protected]

Mobile+WhatsApp:+505 8861 1441

Attachments

• Polar cutting-in-practice.pdf
    343.3 KB · Views: 362

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back