Business Jargon

MailGuru

Just finished reading one of the online blurbs at MSN.com about this year's list of business jargon words and phrases that readers want to eliminate. You guessed it: "Think Outside The Box" was number one. There were many others, but, I decided to add a few that didn't make the list. Maybe you can chime in with suggestions of your own.

Here's MY #1: "Reach-Out To..." as in "Why don't you reach-out to John, and get his input?"
Wouldn't it just be easier to say "Check with John and see what he says...."?

Amazingly, "At the end of the day" wasn't on the list either.

Best,

-MailGuru

"Have A Good One"
There is nothing more unprofessional uttered by every cashier for the last several years.

Here's one that I know will make Gordo's toes cringe & curl inside of his shoes:

"Exceed our Customer's Expectations"

Last edited:
While I'm on the subject why "Upside"/"Downside" instead of Good News/BadNews: The "upside" is we no longer have to make those $25,000/mo press payments. The "downside" is that we no longer have any clients.

Or, how about the "Scope Of Work Document" instead of simply "Project Description"?

"That being said...."

Every time my previous employer would say that, I just wanted to kick his teeth down his throat.

"It is, what it is."

Ok, what very deep and philosophical idiot came up with that one??!!!!!!!???

Of course it is what it is. Unless, of course, it is what it isn't.

"Lets not re-invent the wheel" ... I have heard this at every print house I have worked at. Drives me crazy that and we have to get our registration "Dead nuts" or "Nuts on" again every print house...... I'd rather hear nails on a chalk board then any of these 3 ever again.

"blue Sky" an idea - What???????????????????????????
"harvest low hanging fruit" - As in complete the easy jobs, there are no easy jobs in this trade
"drill down" - why not just say investigate

And my personal favorite "Touch Base" - its not Baseball we are playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Back up the truck" and "Rewind the tape" used when someone is getting ahead of the discussion and may be missing the point.

Gordo

"Have A Good One"
There is nothing more unprofessional uttered by every cashier for the last several years.

I thought it better to verbally express my agreement as I was afraid that hitting the "Like" button may be construed as condoning this horrible phrase.

Everyday language in America has become so euphemistic and colloquial it is often impossible to figure out what people are talking about. See what I'm sayin?

Everyday language in America has become so euphemistic and colloquial it is often impossible to figure out what people are talking about. See what I'm sayin?

"[insert colloquial regional or local phrase]. Ya know what I mean?"

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back