Calibrating a Kodak Approval XP2

PrePress Guru

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine just got a used XP2 and ive been tapped to help him. We have it setup and proofing but we need to calibrate it to the SWOP standard.
I downloaded the swop ads but it does not have a step by step. Unfortunately, my usual kodak guy is off for the holidays so im a bit stuck and could really use some help. I used to have a bunch of classics and i sort of remember how to calibrate them but its been a while.
The XP's are really neat but i guess im just getting old. The system is running a Harlequin v5.5 rip with a dtp-41.
From my classic days I remember that i need to run the SAD test, then i read in the samples. Where should i go from there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

-ian
[[email protected]]

Re: Calibrating a Kodak Approval XP2

Your best bet would be to hire a GRACoL G7 Certified Expert. You will be able to benefit from a perfect Neutral Linearisation and Prescribed TVI. This way your Approvals have tighter tolerances than SWOP alone, and have a measurable, spectral method of verification for day to day...

I wish that was an option.
I just need some pointers in the right direction. SWOP is a goal but we will edit the curves to meet reality.

Heres an *incentive*. If anyone can lend a hand and give me some good directions, i will send you $25 by Paypal or check.
I know its not much but im helping a friend out.

Thanks
-ian

Nice offer, but you should keep your cash.;) ..not really what these forums should be about. The Rip driving the kodak approval should allow you to adjust density of CMYK (via density click values) and dotgain via the DotGain manager application, which creates a file that you'd then place in your Rips page setup. Its a rather involved process, and since I'm out of the office, I can't be more specific right now going from memory, but I can probably help you out later if you still need it.

I'd also second the notion of utilizing G7 as a methodology to dial in your device. For the optimal color match, you could go the route of profiling your approval (either after G7 calibration or in it current state) and using a CMYK-CMYK conversion (device-link ideally if you can support it) prior to the Rip.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the help. Sorry if i offended with the offer. But its been frustrating dealing with Kodak.
The tech came out to instal the machine but he was only hardware. The software guy is nowhere to be found.
They only fixed some things and forgot others. We are finding the little things that dont work as we go. Ahhhhh.
Kodak wont or cant give us pdfs of the manuals without another service call so i feel very stuck.

The rip is a harlequin v5.5. The dot gain manager is also there.
I will try to muddle through but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Would you know how much 1 click would equal in terms of density?

Eventually, he probably will go the G7 route but SWOP is our primary goal for now. Actually a proof that looks good is ok for now ; - )

Thanks
-ian

>The rip is a harlequin v5.5. The dot gain manager is also there.I will try to muddle through but any help would be greatly appreciated.Would you know how much 1 click would equal in terms of density?

One click I beleive is equal to about 0.025 in density. For dot gain compensation, you need to enter target (desired) and current (actual from your proof) values, then save as a Rip Caliration file (.ps file). This file is then placed in your page set up for your calibration fil (under configure device).

>Sorry if i offended with the offer. But its been frustrating dealing with Kodak.
The tech came out to instal the machine but he was only hardware.

No worries, and I know the story with Kodak support. :p

Edited by: Michael Eddington on Dec 12, 2007 8:46 AM

Hi Ian,

I am in process of recalibrating our Kodak Approval. Here is what the tech
told me about density clicks: For C, M & K, 4 clicks = 0.1 density
difference or each click + 0.025. For Y, 8 clicks = 0.1 or each click =

GRACoL specs which are C - 1.55, M - 1.46, Y - 0.98 & K - 1.76 for solid
density.

This is where I'll starting. You can email me off forum for more specifics.
[email protected].

Hope this helps.

Jason

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back