Calibrating a Xerox DC5252?

easiprint

Hi

We have a Xerox DC250 on contract with Xerox, which we calibrate with Colorcal, and it runs fine. Due to workloads however we have just added a DC5252 which is under a contract with a private dealer. The company who are supplying the DC5252 say it does not need calibrating as it has an internal calibrator. We recently had a Xerox engineer in for our DC250 and we were discussing the 5252, and he said of course it needs calibrating - anything running a fiery rip needs calibrating. Having looked in CW4 on the 5252 there is no option for using colocal.

My question is, should the DC5252 with Fiery EXP5000 be calibrated and can colorcal be added to CW4 for the 5252?

Hi

We have a Xerox DC250 on contract with Xerox, which we calibrate with Colorcal, and it runs fine. Due to workloads however we have just added a DC5252 which is under a contract with a private dealer. The company who are supplying the DC5252 say it does not need calibrating as it has an internal calibrator. We recently had a Xerox engineer in for our DC250 and we were discussing the 5252, and he said of course it needs calibrating - anything running a fiery rip needs calibrating. Having looked in CW4 on the 5252 there is no option for using colocal.

My question is, should the DC5252 with Fiery EXP5000 be calibrated and can colorcal be added to CW4 for the 5252?

Hello, I've been running 5252 for the past 4 years. Actually now I'm running Xerox 1000. But 5252 had to be calibrated once a day if colour is important. And also keep in mind colour will shift from day one to day 2. It's not very stable as my present unit X1000. I calibrated a week ago and colour is still the same. I was using Fiery 5000 as well and I don't recall seeing colocal setting. I tried a few different set ups but coolour was the same regardless. I hope it helps.

Hello, I've been running 5252 for the past 4 years. Actually now I'm running Xerox 1000. But 5252 had to be calibrated once a day if colour is important. And also keep in mind colour will shift from day one to day 2. It's not very stable as my present unit X1000. I calibrated a week ago and colour is still the same. I was using Fiery 5000 as well and I don't recall seeing colocal setting. I tried a few different set ups but coolour was the same regardless. I hope it helps.

A DC 252 is considered by Xerox to be a production machine, but not what they qualify a a "graphics" machine. In Xerox terms the production machine will varynmore than the graphics machine. Don't get me wrong, a 252 can produce great results, but it can very based on temp, humidity, length of run. It should have it's own internal calibration, but that's never as good as a true calibration.

If you are having too many color consistency issues I'd bring it up with the dealer that sold it to you.

Calibration with a fiery EXP5000 rip on the DC5252 is usually done with a Spectrophotomer (the efi EF1000 which is an iOne with a different label)
Select Manage Colour from the Server Menu then there is a calibration selection. In that you have to select EF1000.
Don't think you can use colorcal or other "off the glass" calibration techniques as most DC5252's don't have the scanner - it was an option

Hi,
Regards to calibrating the DC5252 with a fiery EXP5000,
If you want to have an accurate color or some kind of color management you need to calibrate the system. The Fiery needs to know the state of the printer so he can adjust the output. If you installed CWS properly, then Colorwise pro is also installed at the Fiery. Go to [Server] [Manage color] at the top of CWS to open Colorwise pro
A new window opened select calibrate. You will need a densito meter, defaut is the DTP32 bud at the pull down menu are some options, to calibrate because the DC5252 has no Scanning option so colocal will not be available.

Good luck

Martin

Hi

The company who are supplying the DC5252 say it does not need calibrating as it has an internal calibrator.

Those guys are either completely incompetent or they are just full of BS. You absolutely do need to calibrate and I suggest you get a Spectrophotometer or a densitometer that's compatible with your Fiery (better than calibrating using Colorcal). You'll only need one as you can use it on both 5252s, you can even do that from one RIP or workstation running CWS.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I kinda suspected that the 5252 would require calibrating, but did not want to have the expense of buying a Spectrophotomer or anything. My 5252 does have a scanner, but it never gets used. I have now spoken to my dealer who has agreed that it should be calibrated daily and has now supplied me with an EFI 1000 Spectrophotomer he had 'laying around' so off to do some colour playing now...

Thanks again guys.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back