Can I use the second ethernet port to "Pass Through" on a new mac

Is there a way to connect one computer directly to the second ethernet port on one of the new MacPros and have that port pass through into our Network. Sort of like using the Mac as a router?

What I hope to accomplish is to add a PC (MacMIni formatted as a PC) connected directly to the MacPro with a KVM switch creating a dual platform workstation. I have it all working except for the Ethernet connection. I can obviously just connect the PC directly to our Switch but would like to try this config out first if possible

Thanks
Carrell Wiers

Re: Can I use the second ethernet port to "Pass Through" on a new mac

you can try turning on Internet Sharing, but I think that will only give the Mini internet access, not sure if you will be able to access your local servers and printers

I definetly need more then Internet sharing. I was looking at some fairly cheap software that seems to be able to do this called IPNETROUTER. looks like it would work but at $100 a pop Id hate to have to get a copy for each machine I was really hoping there would be something "built in" to the OS

I know you may have already heard me talk about virtualization. Got an Intel Mac? Try VMWare Fusion or Parallels. Either would be cheaper and work just as well as what you're talking about IMO. No need for a second Mac or PC, and Windows runs faster at the same time than I've ever seen it run alone (no hesitation, 20 minute install, but you can just convert your existing machine if you have one to a virtual machine or VM) at the same time as Mac OS X. Awesome. And restoring from a corrupted install is (with Leopard) as easy as going back in time. For those with Tiger, one could simply copy the thing on a schedule and restore one of the backups from the backup drive if the main install gets corrupted. No IT support needed and less hardware to have to keep up with.

Don

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back