Canon 7000 vs HP indigo 7000

Nathan

Hi there,

I'm a designer and print broker. I've just come back to the USA, and I'm trying to find a print supplier with an HP Indigo 7000+ for short run stuff. I sent a quote request to a company I know of in Chicago, and they have asked me if the Canon 7000 is comparable to the HP Indigo. The big sell for me on the Indigo is the mineral-oil suspended toner. The finer particles don't leave that thick, shiny coating on the substrate that lower end digital presses do; it's very close to litho in appearance and it lets the substrate shine through.

Does anyone know if the canon uses a dry toner, and if the quality is comparable to an HP Indigo 7000?

Many Thanks,

Nathan

We run a Canon C6000 - Personally, I think it's one of the more "matte" looking of the regular dry toner machines, but it's still MUCH glossier than an Indigo. I've seen stuff run off the Xerox iGen with matte dry ink that looks pretty close to Indigo, but I don't think any of the mid range machines like the Canon can approach that look.

Depending upon what your short run stuff is, I might recommend contacting Miller's Lab in Pittsburg, KS and Columbia, MO. I know they have a few Indigo's at the Pitt Plant, however I do not know what model they are currently running. Miller's runs primarily photos and photo cards, etc. They do not do any kind of forms, letterhead or etc. Good luck and please PM me when you find a proper vendor. Thanks.

Of the mid-range digital presses The Canon ImagePress has the most offset like finish of the lot. I would request samples from them and make your own opinion.

Coated stock assumed, dry toner doesn't look like the Indigo. Agree with others on the Canon being much better than other (and older) dry toner machines. Indigo printing on our new 5650 in Cincinnati is really looking good compared to our older Indigo and the Canon and Xerox machines we looked at.

Indigo vs Canon

Indigo vs Canon

Coated stock assumed, dry toner doesn't look like the Indigo. Agree with others on the Canon being much better than other (and older) dry toner machines. Indigo printing on our new 5650 in Cincinnati is really looking good compared to our older Indigo and the Canon and Xerox machines we looked at.

The Canon and the HP are wildly different technologies. The Canon is a traditional dry toner system with particle developer (carries the toner). The HP is a toner (almost ink like) particle that is carried by a fluid (isopar...not mineral oil). The HP's transfer efficiency is second to none, leaving a beautifully rendered image that mimics offset and works on thousands of stocks. The Canon, while excellent in its quality, still doesn't achieve the same transfer efficiency of the HP, leaving it open to issues like banding in heavy solids and halftone screens. Canon has done a nice job to reduce the glossy look of their toner over the years, but it's not quite the same as the HP. One if the best HP users I have run into is MSP in Freedom PA. They have multiple systems and are extremely quality critical. You can't go wrong with them.

We have both dry toner and Indigo technology and there is a vast difference between the two. If you are looking for color-critical, high quality images, the Indigo is definitely the way to go. We have a 7000 and a 7600 and are in the Chicago area. I would be happy to quote on your projects.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back