Canon ImageRunner Advance C7055, KM Bizhub C654, or Something Else?

Careener

I have a training business that prints 15,000+ double sided copies of slides per month for inclusion in 3-ring binders. I have a 5 year old KM BizHub now that I own but the service rate has escalated to a level that is ridiculous ($.13), so I will save a good bit of money if I get a new machine with a lower click rate (I could try to operate without a service contract, but I really need to be able to get the machine back in service quickly if it malfunctions, so I'm reluctant to try that).

My last Bizhub was mostly OK and their servicemen came promptly when called, but their salesmen, who are now recommending a Bizhub C654, have been anything but straightforward, so I am leery of their recommendations and am now evaluating other options. I received a quote on a Canon ImageRunner Advance C7055 that was almost identical in price to the Bizhub (all things considered). I can't tell which is the better machine, or if I should be looking at something else. A local Zerox dealer recommended a ColorQube, but that strikes me as less than I need. I contacted Xerox directly but haven heard from a salesman yet.

Does anyone have any advice to share or any direct experience with these these machines?

Thanks in advance!

Maybe I'm wrong on the interpretation of the post. You are looking for a machine just to print 30,000 8.5 x 11 prints a month, on I am assuming text weight paper. We have a little beater KM 360 that we print our invoices and job tickets on that would handle that. I think I paid around $6,000 for it without a finisher, just a top catch tray. If your planning on growing that business than go for something bigger. I would run away from the ColorQube.

Craig -- Yes, 8.5 x 11 and standard quality paper. When we put together binders, we usually need to print off about 6,000 clicks at a time, and we need something reliable because we don't have much time to recover in the event of a problem.

Read your contract carefully, most likely it does not limit you to print 8.5x11, if it says 13c per click any size, you may buy a simple cutter, "plug in" for Acrobat pro that can convert your files 2 up automatically "Step and Repeat" and cut you click expenses in half.
We had a Xerox WC7335 back in the years, we bought it used (12,000 only on the meter) put it on contract with xerox, they gave us 11c per click any size, no minimum click, everything included. We printer 2 up everything we could....

I would recommend an A3 capable Xerox printer. We have two 'Docuprint C2255' Xerox lasers. We bought them ex-demo with less than 500 page count and bought maintenance contracts with them. Service and toner is free. We pay 5¢ per A4 page for black and 15¢ for colour. Double that for SRA3 or A3. Being in Australia the print cost is about average for small printer. We print 28 page magazines monthly and brochures etc, at other times. I added a hard drive and filled both machines with RAM. In three years We've had two service calls, one belt replaced and two fusers replaced. The Canon we had previously could never equal the quality of the Xerox machines. I agree with unlimitedBT... Read the service contract carefully. I friend of mine has a Minolta system. If it wasn't for his service contract he'd be out of business now.
If you decide to lease instead of buy, be careful about who owns the machine at the end of the lease or you might find yourself paying in an endless loop.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back