Can't print to nework printers out of Mac OS 10.6.7

JaimeZ

I just upgraded by Macs to the Mac OS 10.6.7 and now my network printers will not print out of the Macs.
I have a Fiery rip with the Canon imagePress C6000, imageRunner 7095, Xante Ilumina and my old, old, old Harlequin rip which runs my ECRM Mako imagestter (it runs on Apple talk).

The good news is my Windows XP still can.

Canon is at a loss and is sending a tech today. I frankly do not want to even call Xante (I’ve had enough of their much less than lack luster phone service) and I do not know where to start with the Harlequin.

Has anyone had this issue?

JaimeZ

Apple has turned their back on Appletalk. All of the devices you mentioned use Appletalk. If your printer's manufacturer does not offer a SnowLeopard driver you are SOL.

You have two options:
1) Downgrade to 10.5x
2) If you have another Mac running 10.5x you can go to that machine and set up your printers, make sure everything is printing hunky-dory from that CPU and chose the "share printer" option. Then you will be able to print as you were before you upgraded to Snow Leopard. This is a print server option.

Let me know how this works out for you.

Last edited:
No need to panic. most drivers will still work, you need to talk to them through a different port instead of appletalk.
give me a couple minutes and I'll get some screen shots and show you what you need to do.

Please, no offense meant, but I'm going to assume you don't know where to go at all so that there aren't a lot of questions. Also, this will take 2 posts as the forum only allows 4 links per post.

ok, go into system preferences and select "Print & Fax".
port1.png

Select the "+" button at that bottom of the printer list.
port2.png

Once the window loads, right-click (ctrl-click) in the menu bar and select "customize toolbar"
port3.png

drag and drop the "Advanced" cogwheel icon into your toolbar and select "Done"
port4.png

No insult taken

No insult taken

Thank you for your help.

As I have come to learn the more one knows, the more one comes to realize they can't know everything.

Some of the younger guys will be insulted, but I'm just grateful.

JaimeZ

Click on the "Advanced" option and wait for it to load. Depending on your network, this can take a few minutes. Once it loads, from the "Type" drop down, select "Windows". It should load and look like this:
port5.png

in the URL box type in the IP address for the printer after the "smb://" then at the bottom youc an change the name of the printer to whatever you want, that's just what it will show up as in your printer lists. then in the "Print Using" drop down select "Other".
port6.png

navigate to your PPDs by going to:
Hard Drive -> Library -> Printers -> PPDs -> Contents -> Resources -> en.lproj
you might[/ have to manual place your PPDs there, if you're having problems finding them, message me, there's a couple places to look. Select the PPD for the printer you are trying to install and hit OK.
port7.png

that's it. you should be all set now. select "Add Printer" and give it a test print.
port8.png

most "techs" for the copiers barely know how to get the drivers working on a cooperating PC machine, they have NO clue what to do about a Mac. This should work for you, though sometimes getting the PPD's can be a bit tricky, let me know how that works for you.

Thank you for your help.

As I have come to learn the more one knows, the more one comes to realize they can't know everything.

Some of the younger guys will be insulted, but I'm just grateful.

JaimeZ

well thank you!! This was a fix I had to work out after a couple days of surfing google and putting a few tech things together. We had a few printers that I had to sort this out with after I had just convinced the owner to let me upgrade my aging G5 towers and 10.6 had JUST come out. Needless to say he was NOT happy that we couldn't print, and wouldn't take "it's not possible" as an answer.
;)

hope that got you up and running.

oh...and BTW... I'm one of those "young ones". only 29. but I've been printing for 12 years and running prepress for 7. I was fortunate to learn a lot of the hard lessons when I was VERY young, and have learned to appreciate that for as much as I know, there's always someone who knows more. And more importantly, knowledge is useless if not shared. I share what I've learned when I can. ;)

The Canon Tech came and got the imagePress and imagerRunner to work.
Know I tried Alith's suggestion to get the Xante Ilumina to work, but it still does not; using this method the printer goes to pause and when I click on info the it reads at the bottom "Job Message: Bad URI - need printer name!"

What's the next step?

ok, when you installed on your old mac, did you have to select something like "Print" "hold" or "Store"?

If so, try entering smb://192.168.1.175/print

replacing the IP with the IP for your printer, and "print" with whatever you entered before.

Thank you Alith. It did not quite work, but it led me in the right direction.

Xante has 4 different drivers for the Ilumina; and trying them all I was able to get one to work.

Now I'm having a problems with the Xante Platemaker 5. There is a utility that uncompresses the ppd but I do not know where it saves it. Does anyone have an idea.

Also, how can I get the Harlequin rip running apple talk on a G3 (yes it still works) computer to work. I do understand that Snow Leopard does not support Apple Talk so is there a work around?

Thank you Alith. It did not quite work, but it led me in the right direction.

Xante has 4 different drivers for the Ilumina; and trying them all I was able to get one to work.

Now I'm having a problems with the Xante Platemaker 5. There is a utility that uncompresses the ppd but I do not know where it saves it. Does anyone have an idea.

Also, how can I get the Harlequin rip running apple talk on a G3 (yes it still works) computer to work. I do understand that Snow Leopard does not support Apple Talk so is there a work around?

Glad that worked for you. it can be difficult to trouble shoot a system that you don't know how it works. hands on, I have a number of tricks and resources, but this will get you there eventually.

G3 is probably running OS9 I'm assuming?? I'm not sure if you can printer share through that to 10.6, but doesn't Harlequin work off hot folders?? if it does, you should be able to set up a shared hot folder to drop into.

the new spotlight is broken, and won't search system files, or well pretty much anywhere useful on your mac. get this little program, it's free:
Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File
and search for you xante drivers, not sure what key word you should use, but try a few until it comes up. my guess would be that it's somewhere in that Printer PPD folder I directed you to yesterday.

I used the same method as Alith to get a DPM - harlequin rip running after their mac os x 10.5 machine went awol - screen went on it and had no other external screens around. The other mac machines would use this mac's shared printers. It worked great. Strange why they would just drop appletalk like that. Since it's so heavily relied on.

If you are trying to get multiple set ups going make sure you change queue names otherwise they all end up being dumped into the default queue.

Encountering a similar problem with an older Canon imagePass L1 controller for my ir5000 copier and our OpenRip Symphony Rip for the Xante VM-4. After a few frustrating hours I got the imagePass-L1 and ir5000 to work, but the Xante is a different story. I can get to the point where it looks like the Mac is seeing the rip, it can read the cues for the different presses/plate sizes but it times out every time I send a file. Looking at your previous entry should I have used the ip address/"print queue name" (192.168.2.6/shinohara) rather than just the ip address?

Tried with the queue name after the ip address and had the same result. For the time being I'm putting the G5 back in place so I can get some work done.

Thanks Apple, what was so wrong with Appletalk anyway? Years ago when I had our two copiers installed they techs spent hours trying to get the network going. We switched to Appletalk even on the PCs and they were both up and running in less than an hour.

Tried with the queue name after the ip address and had the same result. For the time being I'm putting the G5 back in place so I can get some work done.

Thanks Apple, what was so wrong with Appletalk anyway? Years ago when I had our two copiers installed they techs spent hours trying to get the network going. We switched to Appletalk even on the PCs and they were both up and running in less than an hour.

Check out the Xante site for different drivers. I'm not familiar with their RIP system, so not sure how it connects. JamieZ said that after trying a couple different ones he finally go it to work, maybe he'll have something more to say?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back