Champion 305CDC guide travel

graficworx

We have an older Champion 305CDC that had developed trouble traveling. When you enter a position, the guide travels all the way to the front, the counter resets, and then it travels back, past the desired measurement, till it gets to a spot around 9.945 where it gets stuck and goes back and forth. Or it gets stuck at 19.945 and does the same thing. I've tried re-seating all the control boards, but it didnt help. I think the position sensor may be stuck or dirty, but I'm not exactly sure how it works on this model.

As per Murphy's law it breaks 1) when you really need to cut something and 2) after-hours before a weekend!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I figured out it's either the encoder cable or the encoder, or both. If you bring the table all the way to the front, and then run it backward it counts up 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 0. Then it begins over again. Also, if you put it at a location, the value on the display slowly creeps up, but the table never actually moves.

It's the encoder. If you have the original equipment they are no longer made. Been there, done that. The only solution and it ain't cheap is a computerized aftermarket setup called a Microcut. I have one and I've already had to replace the encoder on it so my machine is probably around the same age as yours. Microcuts are not cheap but you might be able to find a used one that came off a junk machine.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back