CMYK printing dots anomoly

Qkarmark

We have a Canon C1 ImagePRESS that was installed roughly 4.5 years ago. We still use it quite often, despite it requiring several forms of maintenance over the last 6 months. One issue neither ourselves nor our contracted maintenance tech has been able to solve is an issue with certain outputs: quite plainly, we are experience output pages that have an odd C-M-Y-K array of small dots, appearing on the extreme edge of the printed page. They are always the same order, always occur within the same 1-inch region, and repeat on larger sheets approx 8-10 inches apart. Our techs have been asking Canon if they have any ideas of where to start looking into this, and nothing has come back in the three months this has been happening. We already know it's not software-related, because it appears on the test print that our imagepress spits out, and we already eliminated the Q1 Server as well....

Any ideas out there?

Interesting thought, Matt... I could pass that onto the techs from our maintenance contract and see if it stirs something up.... stay tuned. :)

It's hard, intentionally, to find info on the dots. I'm not sure if anyone has decoded them or not. But that is assuming that they are "markers" and not an imaging anomaly.

Well, Matt - IMO they're anything but 'code'.... I'll scan the marks/dots into a 100% scale image for this thread so everyone else can see exactly what we're seeing: that might help.

Attachments

• image-c1-dots2.pdf
    519.3 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
That is strange... I'm pretty sure that they are NOT the "secret squirrel" dots printers make. Those are something I haven't seen before on prints.

Yeah, Matt - it's very weird... I wish more people like yourself would chime in and throw around some wild ideas like yours.... it seems Canon is totally in the dark on this one.

It's a rather significant issue too, because obviously we can't run all our work oversized just so we can crop that awful stuff off, and it seems to also affect the back-to-back alignment: it's as though the dots are causing the imageable area to offset in the direction opposite to whichever edge the dots have occurred.

Oh, and one other note: it seems this anomaly rarely (almost never) happens when jobs are run out of the external paper feed...but that has not been extensively tested.

Everyone is simply stumped.

Those are interesting "occurrences" for lack of a better term. I'm at a loss... Might they be used for aligning the drums/gears and be imaging on the paper when they shouldn't be? Is their offset from each other, or in total, the same as the offset on back to back registration?

Hey, everyone... just a little update: our tech returned this week stating he'd heard back from Canon. Apparently he was asked to inspect the drum. It turns out the drum has a tiny blemish on the surface (rather visible to the naked eye depending on how the light reflects on it) that is picking up virtually 100% toner, and dropping it on the page, in all four colours.

He tested the theory by replacing our drum with a different used one and - despite introducing far more imperfections in the output quality - he was able to make the dots go away. Now we're waiting to have a brand new replacement drum and blade installed whenever it ships. I will keep you posted.

It's official: our C1 ImagePRESS is repaired of the weird colored dots. The factory replacement drum was the trick, so the dots are now gone, and we actually have considerably better outputs now too.

Qkarmark, how does the ImagePress C1 compare to an Okidata machine? I'm somewhat happy with my Oki but the registration isn't always spot on. It also creases the envelopes so the seams show up on the front.

I'm thinking of picking up an imagepress c1 for $5,000 but I'd like to know if it's worth it.

Thanks.

medialounge

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back