Colour Proofing 1-bit tiffs

RVNG

Strange question… does anyone produce Epson proofs from 1-bit Tiffs? It seems to me this is a very strange way to work. Would there not have to be de-screening involved? And wouldn’t the Epson proof suffer in overall quality because of the de-screen?

It seems to me Adobe PDF renders have always handled rendering to proof and rendering for plates separately without issues… meaning the proof always represents what is rendered on plates without question. Thoughts?

Strange question… does anyone produce Epson proofs from 1-bit Tiffs? It seems to me this is a very strange way to work. Would there not have to be de-screening involved? And wouldn’t the Epson proof suffer in overall quality because of the de-screen?

It seems to me Adobe PDF renders have always handled rendering to proof and rendering for plates separately without issues… meaning the proof always represents what is rendered on plates without question. Thoughts?

I believe this is done by some systems in order to color manage the imagery while preserving the halftones in order to proof for halftone artifacts.

BTW, double posting a question in different forums is not a good idea as it can cause confusion.

There are lots of folks who do it. Packaging folks want to see the halftone screening to anticipate moire issues, and some other folks simply want that level of data integrity.

Most proofing RIPs can take in the 1-bit data, recombine and descreen, and then process the file "normally." For example, this seems to be SOP for the Kodak Proofing System in a Prinergy environment. Is there a quality penalty? I'm not sure. I haven't heard anyone comment, but I would think that there would have to be at least a small degradation of the data.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back