Contract for Printing Services

Muddy

Not sure if I'm in the right place.

We are a commercial printer. We never have a hard copy contract with our customers. We have some signed paper work (proofs, email, etc) but not a "Contract" entailing what each side is responsible for etc. I think you know what I mean.

I have a new customer who is purchasing a one time project (a decent sized one) and wants a contract to sign. I'm happy to do so but I need to draw something up. Can you point me in a direction where I may find a template that I can modify to my specific need? Do you know if anything such as this even exists.

Thanks. I appreciate any and all help

I run an inplant for a large Development Finance Institution, and I am often asked by our compliance guys to enter into a contract for large jobs which we outsource. I am very hesitant to do this, for the following reasons:

1) A contract generally constitutes the 'whole' agreement between the parties, unless specifically itemised. By implication, it invalidates regular industry terms and conditions (or at very best, duplicates them). It is also dangerously easy to overlook something small, which could come back and bite you in the bum.

2) How do you write colour correctness into a contract? Accountability at proofing stage? Number and type of proofs? Approval for overtime or other expedition steps and the cost thereof?

3) As much as a contract binds the printer to perform, it (should) equally bind the buyer to perform. What are the implications if approval of proofs are delayed (happens often in our type of organisation), or if typo's or other errors are overlooked through slipshod proofreading?

There are several more loopholes and pitfalls in our game which are very tricky to address in contract form. My answer to our compliance people is generally that the Printing Industries' Federation terms and Conditions are very close to a fair and reasonable contract, and the rest can best be addressed by specifying the job carefully and completely. Getting the printer to commit to overtime tarrifs up front, cost per proof etc., can easily be done in the Request for Quotation (Job Spec). Hence, the best contract I could come up with, would be no better than the PIFSA T&C and a good RFQ.

I realise I haven't answered your question, but I hope it makes sense

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back