Converting grayscale image to C100/M100/Y100/B100

Saulius

Hi,

is it possible to convert a grayscale pdf to the image with 100% ink in all CMYK channels ?

Thank for any suggestions.

easy way. open the pdf in photoshop as a grayscale image, select all and copy. convert image to cmyk. and delete selection. then, paste into each channel indivually the grayscale image on the clipboard. save as pdf. hope this is what you were looking for.

Last edited:
Thats an "a easy way"? LOL. Place into InDesign or even Quark, and colorize the grayscale with registration color. Thats the easy way...

Can you explain what your trying to do exactly????

What is the reason you would like this result??
We print a lot of varnishing layouts on a back side film with the Cannon W8200 proofer.
Our customers supply us with black only pdf's (with vector and bitmap objects).
Printed films don't satisfy us for the poor density. Light comes out through printed objects. We are looking for the solution to convert quickly these pdf's to c100/m100/y100/k100. Any solutions based on editing with Photoshop, Indesign and so on isn't suitable for us. It takes to match time. Is it possible to resolve this issue with profiles ?

Does your cannon have two blacks? There may be better ways to do it by doubble hitting the black. The important thing is to calibrate your system for your intentions. I would think it would be possible to make an ICC that would print black as rich black, and then define exactly how rich the black should be.

i'd also think at creating an ICC profile for the rich black. Or you can create a workflow on your RIP that the machine is connected to, and convert the separation to all.

We print a lot of varnishing layouts on a back side film with the Cannon W8200 proofer.
Our customers supply us with black only pdf's (with vector and bitmap objects).
Printed films don't satisfy us for the poor density. Light comes out through printed objects. We are looking for the solution to convert quickly these pdf's to c100/m100/y100/k100. Any solutions based on editing with Photoshop, Indesign and so on isn't suitable for us. It takes to match time. Is it possible to resolve this issue with profiles ?

Hold on there. I think you can probably do what you need to with a Photoshop action. Then that action can be exported as a droplet. The workflow would consist of dragging the files to the droplet. These run VERY quickly.

I understand you problem as I had a similar issue with wanting a strong black on clear film/colourlucent instead of the weedy layer of ink that was resulting (fine against a white background but see through).

One option is to duplicate a media profile and alter the density of ink going down and/or change to 4 or 6 colour ink. I did this from the RIP driving the printer. Be warned that over-riding the media profile ink value can have drastic results in terms of ink levels as I found out. The answer I got to was to force the media to only print black and nudge up the density of ink going down until I was happy....again be warned that some media cannot handle a lot of innk, but I'm guessing it's already working for you.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back