Converting Microsoft files to PDF

Hi,

We receive a lot of MS files (Publisher, Word, etc) that we need to convert to PDF for our prepress workflow.
While we have several conversion tools, none will guarantee that the right fonts are utilized because we may
not have the particular font. How are you dealing with this problem? We would like a solution that could be
incorporated into our website. Training is not an option because most of these are one time unsophisticated users.

We provide our customers a customized version of a product called PDF Redirect. The standard version can be found at PDF reDirect - The free PDF Creator alternative to pdf995, cutepdf and freepdf.

We worked with the developer and had him make a customized version that ensures all fonts are embedded by default when the PDF is created. When the customer uses this product it appears as a printer. They can print to this printer from any windows app using the File/Print menu options.

This product has very many other features. The customized version was developed at a very reasonable cost.

It works for us.

Primo PDF is a plug-in for MS office. You choose Primo PDF as your printer from your installed printer list, and print to it. Then after you print a dialog box comes up and you click on the Create PDF button, and it creates a hi-res cmyk PDF. It works great for Publisher and Word. Keep in mind that Publisher will tell you if you are missing any fonts. Word doesnt tell you, but most people that use Word are using normal PC fonts. Primo PDF is a free plug-in, so do a Google search for it (I dont remember the website). Hope this helps somewhat. We keep a copy on our website for customers to download.

-Sev

Primo PDF is a plug-in for MS office. You choose Primo PDF as your printer from your installed printer list, and print to it. Then after you print a dialog box comes up and you click on the Create PDF button, and it creates a hi-res cmyk PDF. It works great for Publisher and Word. Keep in mind that Publisher will tell you if you are missing any fonts. Word doesnt tell you, but most people that use Word are using normal PC fonts. Primo PDF is a free plug-in, so do a Google search for it (I dont remember the website). Hope this helps somewhat. We keep a copy on our website for customers to download.

-Sev

Just as an FYI, you can check for font substitution in Word. In Word 2007 or 2010, If you go to File > Options > Click Advanced and scroll down to the "Show Document Content" section there's a "Font Substitution" button. That will let you know if you're missing any fonts. (Microsoft put it in a nice easy place to find)

In the older versions of Office I believe it was Tools > Options > Compatibility, but it's been a while since I used them.

Just as an FYI, you can check for font substitution in Word. In Word 2007 or 2010, If you go to File > Options > Click Advanced and scroll down to the "Show Document Content" section there's a "Font Substitution" button. That will let you know if you're missing any fonts. (Microsoft put it in a nice easy place to find)

In the older versions of Office I believe it was Tools > Options > Compatibility, but it's been a while since I used them.

Thanks for the info. I didnt realize that Word does show font substitution, But MS had to put it in such an obvious place, unlike those other programs that tells you first thing that fonts are missing. Gotta love MS.

-Sev

You can also add the Font Substitution button to the "ribbon" in MS Word so you can just be one click away to finding out if you are missing fonts..... file>options>Quick Access Toolbar>on the drop down select all commands> add font substitution to the right.

Nick

ArtAffirm at GraphExpo

ArtAffirm at GraphExpo

We will be showing a new product at GraphExpo called ArtAffirm in booth 973.
This tool integrates into your website and provides a simple browser based tool where your customers can upload their artwork in most print formats, PDF, EPS, PS, and most all raster formats.
ArtAffrim has built in checking which will provide your customers with an easy to use window that outlines any problems - such as missing fonts - and then has links back to our main Wiki site where detailed instructions on how to solve the problem for each application. Once the checking is complete users can drag their art into a layout that is exactly the specs of the product they are ordering. Here they can drag, rotate and scale as needed to make sure it fits the specs. In the final step we build a final PDF that is exactly the size of the specified product and contains the users affirmed art in place.

Please stop by and see it!
David Lewis

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back