Copying files from remote host corrupts PDF files due to varying file size.

Omega

We have a +hosted PC remote serve+r that feeds pdfs to our +local Mac preflight server+ with files of varying sizes.

The pdf files are sent from the host using a piece of software called '*File Mover 1.5*' , down a dedicated 20 Mb fibre optic to the local mac running os 10.4.11.

The files arrive and are then sorted by a +applescript folder action+ into subfolders.

The problem I am having is that files should be moved by the set rule of first in, first out (FIFO).

What seems to happen is that when a large size file is sent by the host and followed by a file that is small. The smaller file arrives first or during the transmission of the larger file. This corrupts the received pdf files.

I have tried adding a delay loop in the script to check file size received and looping until transmission completed.
This seems to works but does not stop the corruption occurring.

I wonder if the host is feeding the file to a cache prior to transmission from the PC and that is the cause the corruption.

I am at present looking into how to find a way to add to the applescript a way to flag when the end of file has been reached and so the completion of transfer by the server, but if my theory of a cache is the cause, this will not then be the answer.

Has anyone had similar experiences and could give me any suggestion I would be most grateful.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back