"Critical parser failure: Color space resource missing"

rich apollo

This is an error I'm getting on some PDFs. Anybody know what it means? I can't troubleshoot it until I know what it's talking about.

These have been exported out of InDesign CS4, for what it's worth.

the error message would indicate that the PDF file is corrupt. Every graphic element in a PDF file has to have a colorspace. The colorspace can be simple, ie. RGB or CMYK, or complex, a ICC profile, spot color, color palette, etc. I'm guessing that it's a complex colorspace that is broken.

I'd be happy to investigate further if you send me the PDF. Use either yousendit.com or upload via Apago: Support Upload

Cheers,
Dwight Kelly
Apago, Inc.
PDF Enhancer - when you need perfect PDF!

Dwight, the file is uploading to your support site as I type this.

Thanks for your input on this.

You can contact me directly at richard(dot)apollo(AT)okoffset(dot)com.

I tore the file apart and found that a placed graphic had the following code:

Q
/ cs 0 0 0 0 scn
0 G

The problem that Acrobat is reporting is caused by the missing colorspace name after the '/' character. It should be something like:

Q
/CS1 cs 0 0 0 0 scn
0 G

Looks like a bug in Indesign PDF generation. What type of graphic elements did you place on the page? PDF, EPSF, etc....

I didn't place anything. I received the PDF from a client. I believe the ad on the right side would have been received as a PDF by my client, who then placed it into InDesign CS4 to construct the page. The page would have then been exported out as a new PDF.

I received the file and then ran it through CMYK Optimizer. Then the error occurs.

I've sent the file off to Alwan tech support, too.

This is another of those issues that I think is particular to how InDesign CS4 is creating PDFs. Perhaps something that Alwan will need to adjust their code to handle.

Thanks, Dwight.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back