CTP machines and heat

plategirl

I'm at work right now. The thermostat in the "cool" part of the room says 85 Fairenheit. If feels like 90+ where I am. We have a Trendsetter News, thermal plates, heater, the whole nine yards. What kind of problems can I expect if my company expects their machinery to operate in this kind of heat? A coworker says it's like this all the time, every summer. It seems insane, if you ask me. Plates are outputting for now, but....

Re: CTP machines and heat

Hi Plate girl,

I dont know in which part of the world you operate, but regarding the CTP i will give you few tips:

- More than the heat, humidity will be the problem factor for these machines. It should be under 60 digrees else the the software and exposure will get effected and may be malfunction.
- Further if the heat is under 40 celsius it will work but try to keep it below 30 celsius.
- Plate storage should be under 30 else the emulsion dyes will not remain stable.

Hope above will help, good luck.

Print

would think an ambient temperature that high would give you problems. Our screen unit will error when it hits 80F.

You will certainly experience issues running that hot. Do a test on a cool day and then a hot one and compare the difference. Not to mention I think that might effect warranties and or service contracts as well as shorten the life of the Trendsetter. Looks like you are in Newsprint so maybe your tolerances have more lee way... but here in Offset we would have issues. Good luck and stay cool:)

We have a total nightmare with this problem.
We were informed that between 20 -25c is the ideal.
We hit 26c and all hell breaks loose. The laser starts "stepping" across the plate, then the machines decide to stop exchanging information.
We have fixed the problem, but we still try to get as many plates out in the morning as we possibly can.

We use 3 x KPG TH180 Newsetters - all using Kodak Thermalnews Gold plates. As well as air conditioning all the pre-heats on the processors have extractors that vent the heat to the outside of the building.

Whenever we have air conditioning problems the equipment starts to malfunction and plates start to stick together.

Here's a really inexpensive way to get a room in control.

1. Water cooled floor standing air conditioner large enough for the room plus the heat generated by the equipment, usually 2 or 3 ton (about 6-7 grand).
2. Pass through humidifier such as AprilAire.
3. Duct heater (about 4KW).
4. Separate controls inside the room for air, heating, humidity. Necessary flex and hard ducting from just outside the room plus several diffusers.
5. Add a media air filter in the return air and drill a few holes just on the air conditioner side of the filter to create positive air pressure so the air flows out under doors etc keeping dust out once the doors are closed. Change the paper filter at least once or twice per year depending on shop conditions

Total cost is about 9-12 grand, which is dirt cheap when you pay so much for the platesetter etc.

Explanation:
The air conditioner cools and drys the air. The duct heater heats and drys the air. The humidifier adds the moisture. Now all three of these devices work against each other and the room remains constant for temperature and humidity.

This system is simple and fool proof. We used it for film setter and platesetter rooms. Equipment runs flawlessly for years.

John W

Edited by: John Willis on Jun 11, 2008 10:19 AM

Thanks to all who replied. I'm definitely going to have to print them out and pass them along. (Irony is, about 1 minute after I posted that thread, our platescrubber acted up. Not the laser etc...--amazingly, thankfully.) The AC unit in here is running better today...mid 70's, for the moment.

Oh, the issues extend into the pressroom as well. They will be getting their AC fixed later this week, but this happens EVERY year. I'm told they blew $120,000 in press equipment last year due to the heat, which could be greatly lessened by installing a roof vent, which they won't do, due to "cost constraints". Ain't that a sad hoot? Press managers: what kind of venting system works in your area that is fairly inexpensive, and how might I offer advice to the production manager where I work? Common sense doesn't seem to work well, though. Any ideas as how to beat the ego thing that seems to be going on? Its a newspaper press, DGM. The press here is in a refurbished steel foundery, tin roof and all.

Again, may thanks.

I came across a similar situation since we are on the top floor and the room heats up and stays heated. We purchased one of those storage sheds from Lowes (I AM SURE HOME DEPOT SELLS THEM).....anyway, the shed (8' x 10') houses our ctp system and we have a stand alone A/C / heater unit that keeps the environment perfect.......another plus to this is that we have an air cleaner on 24/7 which minimizes dust. We exhaust the hot air thru a hose (4" diameter) to the outside........... this entire set-up cost: 550.00 for AC/heater, shed approx 300.00 and then add some sweat equity. Though the shed does look strange within a press-room it was a less costly alternative than buying a 2 or 3 ton AC unit

Heat is the biggest enemy for a Trendsetter Head.
Generally, if the temperature goes above 24 C at the head level, you start getting error messages.
We tell the customers here, in India, to keep an average 22 C and not to let it go above 24 C at the room level. This is for Kodak as well as Screen. The installation that have been able to do so are running well.
Humidity is also something which you will have to worry about. As mentioned by John Willis.
The room enviironment will depend upon your location, geographically and the location of your room i.e. how much exposure to sunlight / heat.

By heater did you mean a baking over ? If so you should have it outside your platesetter room.

Plategirl, everyone has an ego...but I used to tell the people leave your bad ego's at the door and put the good ego's in your job! Doesn't work all the time but the work did get better. Also have everyone throw there ideas on the table find which one works the best. Regards

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back