cutting down large posters?

wonderings

We do not do a lot of posters, but we do some now and then. Once a year we do some large posters for one of our clients, a car dealership. I cut them down by hand. It is never an issue, the volume is low, about 5 posters. The problem I have is some of the posters are larger then the light table I use for cutting (42" x 64"). I have had some larger ones as well, but again not high volumes, outside of the one customer with the one order a year, the really large ones come 1 at a time and not very frequently.

I am trying to find a large table for cutting, would be nice to do all the cutting on this table rather then use the light table I am currently using. I have no idea what I am looking for. Our light table is similar to a drafting table, it slides up and down. I want something flat that does not move and would have a slider for cutting straight lines. I am coming up with tables for cutting fabric that have cutting mats.

Any ideas on where to look or even what I am looking for?

4'x8' sheet of good plywood.
mount some legs, or a few sawhorses to them.
Get a large t-square.
Fold up when not in use.

4'x8' sheet of good plywood.
mount some legs, or a few sawhorses to them.
Get a large t-square.
Fold up when not in use.

Would I get a good cut going into plywood? Right now I put 2 large moveable tables we have together and put wood boards underneath (4 or 5 side by side). The blade sinks into the wood and can make it difficult sometimes to get a nice clean cut. When cutting on our light table on a glass top, it is a breeze. Was hoping for something similar, but on a larger scale obviously.

I was just giving a cheap, low tech option....but this is from a person who works for a company that had some design-interns make a 4x8 conference table with 2 aluminum sawhorses and a single sheet of painted sheetrock/drywall.....(that collapsed in such a glorious fashion when the boss tossed some books on it!!)

Anyhow....thy the next option...

Maybe something like this then (they have a 5x10 model also)? - Iron Man 4x10 Production Cutting Table with Rhino Cutting Mat

Last edited:
I was just giving a cheap, low tech option....but this is from a person who works for a company that had some design-interns make a 4x8 conference table with 2 aluminum sawhorses and a single sheet of painted sheetrock/drywall.....(that collapsed in such a glorious fashion when the boss tossed some books on it!!)

Hahaha, I am guessing that they were not structural design interns!

Stephen Marsh

I had a couple friends of mine (who are carpenters) build me a 4x8 table out of plywood and two by fours. Placed a cutting mat on top. Hasn't failed me yet but I think it's time to flip my cutting mat over. I have a t-square from a hardware store, a Fiskars mat/fabric cutter from Walmart and a couple of safety rulers from this website: Welcome To SpeedPress Sign Supply

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back