DCS file?

DonnaFC

We have a two pantone color image that we are trying to send from Quark to our apogee. The image is a border of one color and backround of another. Not sure where but the file keeps processing out. Tried using DCS2 placement and still didn't work. It combines the two channels and processes them out.

any ideas?
donna

Re: DCS file?

You might try making the image a TIF file. An image with one or more spot colors can be saved as a TIF in Photoshop as long as it is not in "multichannel" mode. If the image is in multichannel mode, create a new spot color (the name and color are irrelevant), move it to the top of the color order in the channels palette, and make sure it is all 0% (white). Then select just that channel, and choose Image > Mode > Grayscale from the menu bar. You should then have a grayscale image with two spot channels that can be saved as a TIF. I'm not sure if this will solve your problem, but I know that TIF files on the whole work better and are more easily interpreted than DCS files.

Re: DCS file?

I'm not familiar with the apogee RIP, but I would assume it supports some kind of OPI functionality. If you are using DCS files in Quark you must use OPI in order for it to separate the PMS colors correctly. If you are using Quark 7 you can try saving the image as PSD, or use 2 colorized tiffs overprinting one another.

Dan

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back