Delphax Elan - Inkjet Cut Sheet Press

Another interesting inkjet technology that is sure to disrupt the market. It's really good to see a healthy competitive initiative amongst the various manufacturers. I just find it very odd that none of these manufacturers are proclaiming why their technology is better than the competitors. What really separates MEMSJET, Fuji SAMBA, Epson MicroPiezo, Landa Nano, etc.? It seems like they are all extremely similar electronic-DoD technologies and that the ink is perhaps the real technology.

I have to believe within 3 years, I'll be able to by a 200k inkjet that will replace my toner based machine right now. As I see it, their is no reason for the price of the units to be that high. Yes, the R&D costs a ton and that has to be recouped. But for example, the Elan uses 3 memjet print heads to print a 18x25" sheet. Those print heads are 300.00 each retail. Some software to time ink laydown and your golden. The paper path can be much simpler as curling shouldn't be an issue, no heat.

We just purchased a Colordyne 1600s(it will be here in a week or so)(uses memjet print heads). The machine has so few moving parts I think it will last forever.

Another interesting inkjet technology that is sure to disrupt the market. It's really good to see a healthy competitive initiative amongst the various manufacturers. I just find it very odd that none of these manufacturers are proclaiming why their technology is better than the competitors. What really separates MEMSJET, Fuji SAMBA, Epson MicroPiezo, Landa Nano, etc.? It seems like they are all extremely similar electronic-DoD technologies and that the ink is perhaps the real technology.

I looked at a memjet based machine about 18-24 months ago (Astrojet M1). The prints looked good, but the ink could not withstand water - it ran immediately. That was a show stopper for me. Does anyone know if memjet now uses an oil-based ink (soy or whatever)?

I'm kind of confused on the ink running thing. How often does print get wet. If its explained to a customer on the front end, does it matter? I can't think of anything we print getting wet often enough to matter.

Finger moisture is enough in some cases. The real deal breaker is mist, moisture, and/or rain during delivery of envelopes/direct mail pieces.

I've bought a colordyne 1600s envelope printer. I can tell you that finger moister is not an issue on the stocks I've tested to date. If I lick my finger and try, I can smear a bit. Similar to offset just after printing. BUT, i have to try to smear it. Yes, it does have limitations, but its not like people poor water on paper and rub it together as a regular practice.

I have a Mach 5, close 500k envelopes on it and no complaints of water problems. Finger moisture, as stated above, is not an issue. Mist is not going to be a problem,unless just left out in it for some time. Rain? oh yea then you got a problem. So far though not one single complaint, my guess is the inks will get better and this will be the next big wave of printing and finally able to take on toner.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back