Detailed font info from InDesign

nickyg

Forum,

Does anybody know of a way or tool to get specific high level detail of what fonts are used in an InDesign document ?

I'm not talking Type > Find Font > etc, or the 'Package' info, i need a detailed report from ID for font name, format, version, metadata that's embed etc.

Appreciate any idea's,

Thanks,

Nick.

Callas pdfToolbox can do an inventory report on the fonts used in a PDF. Part of that report shows a table with the character itself in its own face and the defined character it should be underneath. On the right side of the page it shows all sorts of details about the font.

You can use pdfToolbox to run the inventory report or Acrobat Professional's preflight function. I realize it's not the InDesign file that is being scanned but with the inventory report you can see if the font is correctly embedded, not just that it is embedded.

See the video below:
Created by Camtasia Studio 6

Font info

Font info

You should be able to access all font info directly from the preflight utility within InDesign. FlightCheck works well for this, too.

alternatively, you could convert to PDF and then preflight with PitSTop Pro.
cheers
Alex Hamilton
Director of Business Development
Enfocus - an EskoArtwork brand

We need a similar solution for one of our customers who is requesting that the fonts used in a Illustrator artwork are typed out in a info box i.e. font name, foundry etc theory being that info can be used further down the supply chain to purchase the correct fonts. Its time consuming to type the info out and off course its not bullet proof as it relies on a human to get the info right. We have suggested supplying a PDF where the font properties can be viewed in Acrobat but that doesn't show who the foundry is, any ideas ?

We need a similar solution for one of our customers who is requesting that the fonts used in a Illustrator artwork are typed out in a info box i.e. font name, foundry etc theory being that info can be used further down the supply chain to purchase the correct fonts. Its time consuming to type the info out and off course its not bullet proof as it relies on a human to get the info right. We have suggested supplying a PDF where the font properties can be viewed in Acrobat but that doesn't show who the foundry is, any ideas ?

Applescript is the way to go...you can pull all the font property info you need from a script run from the app > Scripts menu...

Applescript is the way to go...you can pull all the font property info you need from a script run from the app > Scripts menu...

Unfortunately I have never really done any scripting before, I have launched the AppleScript editor a few times and tried to record actions without much success. Could you recommend any decent sources on Apple scripting for beginners ?

My other idea was to see if there was any preflight software out there that could spit out a report with the font information in, had look at Acrobat preflighting and Esko check-X but no luck so far :(

Unfortunately I have never really done any scripting before, I have launched the AppleScript editor a few times and tried to record actions without much success. Could you recommend any decent sources on Apple scripting for beginners ?

My other idea was to see if there was any preflight software out there that could spit out a report with the font information in, had look at Acrobat preflighting and Esko check-X but no luck so far :(

Hi Chief

It's about a slightly different topic, but check out this thread for some good info on learning Applescript.
http://printplanet.com/forums/adobe/21083-removing-alpha-channels#post132528

Flightcheck will check for font info, although I don't know if I'd completely trust the data. I just tested it and saved out a text file with the following info. The HelveticaNeue in this case is the Apple supplied Dfont which according to its get info window is licensed from Linotype.

HelveticaNeue ........... Helvetica Neue.TTF ........ Plain ...... TrueType ...... 1.00 ..... Adobe
MyriadPro-Regular .... MyriadPro-Regular.otf ... Plain ....... - .................. 2.01 ..... Adobe

As previously mentioned, Font Explorer will let you Detect Fonts in a document. It will accept rtf, eps, PDF, indd formats among others. It will show the various versions of a font that are active on your machine, so it might not give you the exact font that was used when the file was created, which could be a problem. It kicked back the following info on my test file (trimmed down a bit for brevity).

Shawn

Report for file "Untitled-1 copy.eps":

Name: Helvetica Neue
Family name: Helvetica Neue
PostScript name: HelveticaNeue
Style: Regular
Unique name: Helvetica Neue; 1.1d4; Fri, Jul 27, 2001
Format: Data-Fork Suitcase (TrueType)
Embedding rights: Preview & Print embedding allowed
Path: /Fonts/Universal Font Set/ HelveticaNeue.dfont
Version: 1.1d4
Description: Helvetica (Latin for Swiss) has the objective and functional style which was associated with Swiss typography in the 1950s and 1960s. It is perfect for international correspondence: no ornament, no emotion, just clear presentation of information. Helvetica is still one of the best selling sans-serif fonts.
Designer URL: Linotype GmbH
Trademark: "Helvetica Neue" is a trademark of Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG, which may be registered in certain jurisdictions, exclusivly licensed through Linotype Library GmbH, a wholly owned subsidiary of Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG.
Vendor: Linotype
Vendor URL: Linotype GmbH
Font ID: 19474

Name: Myriad Pro
Family name: Myriad Pro
PostScript name: MyriadPro-Regular
Style: Regular
Unique name: 2.007;ADBE;MyriadPro-Regular
Format: OpenType (PostScript flavored)
Embedding rights: Preview & Print embedding allowed
Path: /Fonts/Universal Font Set/MyriadPro-Regular.otf
Version: Version 2.007;PS 002.000;Core 1.0.38;makeotf.lib1.7.9032
Designer: Robert Slimbach and Carol Twombly
License info URL: Adobe - Fonts : Licensing Information
Trademark: Myriad is either a registered trademark or a trademark of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.
Vendor: Adobe
Vendor URL: Fonts, buy fonts, download fonts | Adobe fonts

Generated with Linotype FontExplorer X
FontExplorer® X - Professional font management software

Had a look at Slugger but not available for Illustrator although the web site inter-mates its in the pipe line so I emailed them asking for when but no straight answer was forth coming :(

There are few solutions for just getting the name of fonts, you can save a list of fonts out of Illustrator "Find fonts" panel but its the Foundry info that is the stumbling block.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back