Digital Color Copier for small shop

gwt

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while and find these forums helpful.
I am a small print shop usually operated solely by me.
I am currently running a Canon IR3200 and need to upgrade.
I am currently leaning towards the Xerox Docucolor 242.
Also have considered the IKON CPP550 which I have heard
mixed reviews on.
Have sellers also pushing hard an OKI which they are pushing as
just as good quality at thousands and thousands less.
I don't see it as a production machine though.
I'm in the 10-15,000 color clicks per month range.
Just looking for some confirmation or contradiction
on my thoughts that the Docucolor 242 is the best machine for me.
Thanks.

Re: Digital Color Copier for small shop

You should really take a good look at the OKI. At about 30 ppm, you get 1800 per hour, and your 15000 monthly volume would keep it busy for less than 9 hours. The quality is great, and if you learn to make the proper changes to the media settings, it can handle the full range of lightweight, coated and non coated printing stock. The purchase price is so low you can cover the cost several times over in the first year. The down side may be what they charge you for the consumables. Since the other makers get their money up front, including a hidden toner factor, they advertise low toner click charges. The OKI toner will cost you more, but not until you actually use it., and you will not have any click charges to pay.

I am also in the same boat as you except i am still running the 1100 series.
i love the xerox 242 but am wondering why you did not mention the canon 5185 since you have a canon already (not a great one but).
anyone have thoughts on comparing these machines especially as the canon cost about $10,000 less and run 10 copies per minute faster?
i am leaning towards the canon if only because of my good relationship with my local Canon bus solutions service manager. also they will alllow me to keep a back up on service with no minimum clicks.

Hmmm, I am not familiar with the Canon 5185.
I have my Canon through IKON but the only machine they presented to me
was the CPP 550.
The 5185 is also an ImageRunner so I assumed speed was the
only upgrade from the 3200. Am I wrong on that?
Had many problems with feed on the 3200 and want something more reliable for
more stocks.
The Xerox 242 purchase is fairly expensive but I was quoted really low click rates.
I've always gone Canon before but the general opinion I've found is that
their color machines are lesser quality.
I hate decisions.

I am definately not an IKON fan in my area outside NYC.
Since they just bought Danka who knows why they did not mention the machine.
however the 3200 was an early model of the business color class copiers you are currently looking at. i agree that the quality was not great which is why stuck with my clc 1180's so long.
The real issue is comparitive offers as each machine is a buyers lab winner.
for the best advice on pricing for copiers go to www.larryhunt.com and check out his newsletter. i have been a subrscriber since it started.

Definitely have a close look at the Oki ES3640/Oki ES3640e. Here in Ireland, we have installed close to 200 with printing companies, designers and copy shops. We have many, many users that have opted for the Oki over Xerox and comparable offerings from Canon and Konica Minolta.

Don't be fooled by the appearance of the machine, we have plenty of customers printing up to 30,000 prints per month with ease. It will definitely handle your volumes without trouble. Its small footprint contributes to its reliability - because of this it has less moving parts and can achieve tighter register on heavy stock than other machines.

If you get talking to the right sales guy, you will be offered an attractive deal on both equipment price and on running costs.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back