Digital Press Advice

KevGTO52

Hello,
I work running a four colour Heidelberg GTO52 circa 1983 in an in-plant.

We are at a crossroads as to which way to jump in respect of digital or whether to stay fully Litho

Our work consists mainly of up to 100k runs on the 4 colour and we also have a 2 colour GTO52 that does all the stationery and final (up to 3) spot colours on in house packaging which is mainly 6 colour (4 process + 2 spots)
the runs for the packaging usually self adhesive stock or 180gsm one sided board runs of 50 to 1000

We also have a Heidelberg direct to plate system that is circa 2003 and starting to feel it's age

the management here hate the idea of click charges and being tied in with anything

We could in theory go fully digital thus no need for the platemaking process at all or change out the 2 colour

My question is do we just change the 2 colour GTO for a machine that will do up to 7 colours and is this much more expensive than say a four colour digital machine

Spot colours need to be pretty good as it's corporate image

we are just not sure which way to go with it and asking any of the manufacturers will always say that 'their' solution is best

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

If most of your runs are static and they are typically longer than say a few thousand then conventional print is going to be your cheapest route. You could look at a DI from Presstek to speed your make-readies and eliminate platemaking. I had a small 34DI for a while and did not care for it as I had a good 28" press too (DI came with an acquisition of another company), but I know many like the DI technology. With your longer runs you may even want to consider a half size press over the GTO size. If you are not going to get down to 1 press then DI probably not the best idea as you will still have to make plates for other presses. My "2 cents".

Thanks for the replies guys....

If most of your runs are static and they are typically longer than say a few thousand then conventional print is going to be your cheapest route. You could look at a DI from Presstek to speed your make-readies and eliminate platemaking. I had a small 34DI for a while and did not care for it as I had a good 28" press too (DI came with an acquisition of another company), but I know many like the DI technology. With your longer runs you may even want to consider a half size press over the GTO size. If you are not going to get down to 1 press then DI probably not the best idea as you will still have to make plates for other presses. My "2 cents".

Cheers for your comments ajaylamb, i'll bear it in mind

think it would make sense to keep both presses (as they ain't worth too much in value now although invaluable to us for present use) and ADD some sort of digital press for the smaller runs, then after a while of having digital, think about what to do with the 2 colour maybe

gonna have to invest in new direct to plate though if we keep the 4 colour at least methinks

for 100k digital will rob you guys pf profits. besides there are no digital plates that can run 100k. staying to your standard litho with computer to plate is good for you. also it is less stress on maintenance and consumables.

for 100k digital will rob you guys pf profits. besides there are no digital plates that can run 100k. staying to your standard litho with computer to plate is good for you. also it is less stress on maintenance and consumables.

Thanks for your input Fredpan, much appreciated
think the digital thing may be additional to what we have already and keep litho, maybe with an update of some sort

you are welcome. you can get a nice canon color copier for your digital needs, short runs which we have, i will check the model. do not do for the DI because it will give you a host of problems you dont even want to dwell into. keep your litho press runs and be happy. thanks and have good weather wherever you are

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back