Digital press for 350gsm?

dagoof

Was wondering if anyone can help - I've got a small business and I'm looking for a digital press that I could manufacture greetings cards on (~350gsm). They'd mainly be photographic and I'm not fussy about spot colour. I had been looking at an Indigo turbostream but it looks like the lack of ability on solids would mean too many compromises and it sounds like it would be costly to run (we don't mind the weekly maintenance and would undertake training but don't want to constantly be forking out for parts and engineers). Volumes would be pretty low, probably only a 400,000 per year.

The Indigo 3050 sounds much more up to the job but I think we're a couple of years away from making that kind of financial committment. I'm just wondering if there's anything out there that would be suitable to bridge the gap (and indeed to confirm the indigo isn't the way to go)?

Try the Oki Executive Series (ES). The ES3640a3 from Oki sounds like an ideal machine to get you started and comes at an attractive price point. We are the suppliers of the Oki in Ireland and have sold this model with success for this very type of job and at similar volumes

Thanks for the replies.

Craig - I had a Xante machine a couple of years ago (think it was the 330HSE), worst machine I've ever bought, was less than useless (terrible background toning and offset from the fuser even at low weights) so I don't think I'd be going back to them!

Overscan - I do have a half-decent copier atm (a Konica 8050), just thought a move to something more heavy-duty might be in order.

Digitalprint - pretty much as above, we currently have stuff manufactured on 4 colour litho so will eventually be looking for something to bring manufacture in-house, approaching litho quality, but looking for something in between at the moment.

Wondering if something like an iGen3 would be a big jump in quality from my Konica?

For what its worth, we have tried all the low cost options, xante, oki, xpress on demand etc and none have the consistancy of colour or registration, some can even print certain colours such as dark blue without mottling, its down to how strong a charge they can generate.

Then you have the copiers such as Konica 8050, bizhub pro 500 etc they suffer another problem in that the paper has to make a right angle path so using thick stock becomes a problem, as does registration.
We currently have a xerox dc5000 which is great but expensive, but I have to agree with an earlier comment that the xerox 250 which we also have kicks along without much trouble at all, decent registration, good solids, acceptable halftones and very, very relaible.
My current engineers log for the past year shows three visits for the 250 and although a much better printer our 5000 shows 30 visits!
Then there is the price, second hand with contracts at around £12k with a fiery.

I'll stand corrected with the Xante recommendation. I have never run the Illumina, just thought of a device that could handle the 350gsm without suggesting something that is $300.000.00 +.

Thanks Blues - will look into that.

And no problem Craig, just thought I'd share the experience!

Wondering if something like an iGen3 would be a big jump in quality from my Konica?

Definetely!!!

The iGen family officially supports media up to 350gsm.

If you are in the U.S., I would suggest to contact Xerox and ask for the "previously enjoyed iGen3 program". You may be suprised.

Pre-owned iGen3's can be purchases / leased for close to the same price as a 8002. You might also want to wait for the 800/1000 color press being released in Q2. No info yet on specifics, more to come.

I think the MGI Meteor DP 60 prints on stock up to 350gsm. I haven't seen any output from these things but it might be worth looking into.

The new Xerox 800 / 1000 series also has the ability to print on 350gsm. If you can afford one of these it might be the way to go.

Was wondering if anyone can help - I've got a small business and I'm looking for a digital press that I could manufacture greetings cards on (~350gsm). They'd mainly be photographic and I'm not fussy about spot colour. I had been looking at an Indigo turbostream but it looks like the lack of ability on solids would mean too many compromises and it sounds like it would be costly to run (we don't mind the weekly maintenance and would undertake training but don't want to constantly be forking out for parts and engineers). Volumes would be pretty low, probably only a 400,000 per year.

The Indigo 3050 sounds much more up to the job but I think we're a couple of years away from making that kind of financial committment. I'm just wondering if there's anything out there that would be suitable to bridge the gap (and indeed to confirm the indigo isn't the way to go)?

Hi there,

MGI's Meteor DP60 Pro definitely can print on 350 GSM ART CARD. I have seen a lot of prints on the DP60 Pro done on 350 GSM. Quality is very good. The press is FOGRA certified for quality, consistency and homogeneity. It is less priced than Indigo, Nexpress and IGEN as well. Moreover, the press is available in 2 sizes 13" x 26" and 13" x 40".

Apart from this, the DP60 Pro can also print on variety of PAPER and PLASTIC SUBSTRATES.
Paper:- 70 GSM to 350 GSM
Bristol, Matte, Art, Kromcote, Coated, Uncoated, Textured, Smooth, Art, Canvas, Buckram

Plastics:- 100 Microns to 400 Microns
Coated/Uncoated PVC, Teslin, Artisyn, Melinex, Vinyl, PET, Polycarbonate, Polyester

Envelopes:- Prefabricated, with window and without window

Investing in this press can also open various business opportunities for your company. Do call MGI and advise them to give you a great demo. I am quite sure that you will be quite surprised by what punch this baby packs. I certainly was :)

All the best!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back