Digital Scum or Blast or some other term?

mwc

Attached is a pic of colorized 8.5 pt text (CMYK =15/100/90/50)
Noticing the scum or blast pattern of dots around this text. Black is the main culprit.

(we have been on a Ricoh C901 for 4-5mos now, and have not really looked for/noticed this (but it seems that this color break really maximizes the worst case here)).

Fiery RIP at 175 line. (other screens show the same thing)
I have turned all color management OFF and have saved the file many different ways without better results. The 'best' I could get was to add dot to CYAN and reduce the BLACK to get a better result.

Just wondering if others have seen this very often...and what do you recommend to resolve or minimize this?

Attachments

• 20141215_162428.jpg
    20141215_162428.jpg
    798.3 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Thanks. We already had the black developer changed, and calibrations are good. Will ask about the drum to see if that would 'help' the issue.

whole page. this type/color combo is showing it the most. looks much better on an uncoated sheet, so it might also be a paper setting to alter for image or transfer current. job was completed, so now I will throw this into my R&D file to see if I can fix it for 'future' possible issues..

My cal sheet is output/measured from the Fiery (output each day) shows the dot structure without this toner 'blast'...alas, the dots on the cal sheet are screens of each individual toners...no traps/overprints to look at, my cal sheet is on the same stock I am using for the job - 80# gloss text.

Noticing the scum or blast pattern of dots around this text. Black is the main culprit.

(we have been on a Ricoh C901 for 4-5mos now, and have not really looked for/noticed this (but it seems that this color break really maximizes the worst case here)).

I have turned all color management OFF and have saved the file many different ways without better results. The 'best' I could get was to add dot to CYAN and reduce the BLACK to get a better result.

Just wondering if others have seen this very often...and what do you recommend to resolve or minimize this?

It appears to be part of your file .
I see that frequently on things imported from office programs.
to verify just veiw the file at 400%

IT is an AI file, saved as PDF. The Text is outlines/vector data. Everything is crisp on displays (zoomed in). ALso, tested, Have saved as uncompressed 1200 dpi TIFF as well, TIFF views fine in PS. Fiery processes it and has same result. I am convinced that this is a printer/mechanical artifact rather than a file issue. Still waiting for time to test some paper/transfer settings on the printer to see if it could be the issue. will report back if I find something....

It appears to be part of your file .
I see that frequently on things imported from office programs.
to verify just veiw the file at 400%

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back