Do people use Google Docs to create PDFs that go out to print service providers?

You might find someone that does it, but I don't think it's common practice to do it. Imagine you would have similar issues like you do with word docs.

Thanks i'm trying to find out if people are creating PDFs from documents in Google Docs to go to print providers (not office/home printing; rather to commercial printing)

Do people use Google Docs to create PDFs that go out to print service providers?

Hi Helen,

The problem of creating PDF files from Google Docs will be the same as creating PDF files from Mircosoft Office. The complete content will be in RGB and not what is required for printing in CMYK. Converting the document from RGB to CMYK will generate a CMYK black. Means black will not just be black but a mixture of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black. Also 'Red' will not be yellow and Magenta but a mixture of all four colors.
So make sure that your printer can handle this issue converting a CMYK black into a single black color. There is normalizing software in the market to take care of the conversion.

Regards,
Gerhard

Do you know if people TRY to do it? Is there a need to make it work so that the issues Gerhard speaks of are eliminated? I'm asking because a group of developers were talking about whether there is a need for it.

You're gonna' receive PDF/POS from Word, PowerPoint, et cetera. Don't know if Google Docs is any different. There are tools to deal with many, if not most, of the strange things that come out of those programs.

Are they trying to make Google Docs an alternative to professional level software?

Personally, I'd rather not encourage people to use inadequate tools to perform professional work. But, if their check clears, I guess it doesn't matter. I wouldn't want to appear "elitist".

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back