Duplo DC-616 gutters question

YourCastle

Hi all, new here. Is there a way to do a ‘chop cut’, no gutter cut on this duplo? Or do all setups require the minimum 5mm gutter? Thanks! steve

Yes, you can have gutter slits and gutter cuts set to 0. If you did want a gutter, the minimum gutter cut is 3mm and the minimum gutter slit is 5mm. At least that's the way it is on the 618 and I believe it's the same on the 616.

Thanks TJ!

I'm getting some kind of error when I set gutters to 0. I have a set up to cut down blank 12x18 to 9x12 or 8.5x11 (12x18 130# doesn't run well through my printers). I only get one sheet out and there are many cuts afterwards, I'm guessing to drop the "excess" to the garbage bin?

Thanks!

Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (2).png

Try changing your side trim to .5" (which is 12.7mm). If you still get the error, change your lead trim to the same. Changing the lead trim should also eliminate those multiple cuts you're hearing at the end of the sheet. That's just the machine shredding the paper down to smaller pieces to ensure they fall into the waste bin without getting stuck.

Thanks Wheeler!

Changing side trim didn't work. Changing the lead (by itself) did! I was hoping to reduce the need for the initial cut, but this is better than the program I have for full-bleed.

Happy to help. Now what we really need to address is why you're having issues running the 12x18 sheets through your press. Most production machines charge you the same click rate for letter as they do for 12x18, so it's to your advantage to always run 12x18 and save on half the click charges. So...which machine do you have? And what's the issue?

Happy to help. Now what we really need to address is why you're having issues running the 12x18 sheets through your press. Most production machines charge you the same click rate for letter as they do for 12x18, so it's to your advantage to always run 12x18 and save on half the click charges. So...which machine do you have? And what's the issue?
lol, yeah, thanks!

I just joined my company and am fixing things as they come up. They cut down 12x18 > 8.5x11 to print business cards. They said they couldn't run the BCs on 12x18. I haven't investigated yet, but the paper is 130#.

I sure would like to run 21up instead of 8up. And I'd prefer to print duplex, but I'm not sure I'll solve that problem as even in my previous company, 130# duplex never worked consistently.

I'm new to duplo, so your help was as much functional as educational. I wanted to get up to speed on the duplo before moving on to other "problems" that have a current solution.

The v80 and v180 are rated at up to 300gsm for auto duplex and 350gsm for simplex so you’d be really pushing it to get the 12x18 130# to auto duplex. I think 130# is around 350gsm so you should be able to run the 12x18 sheets simplex and just run back through for the second side, much quicker and less expensive than cutting down to 8½x11. I had to simplex these heavy stocks on my v80 but the v280 does a much better job registering front to back on heavy stocks.

If you can get them to spring for a new Versant, the 280 will auto duplex up to 350gsm and run simplex up to 400gsm – as long as you can get drums and toner that is.

The Duplo’s are great machines and you’ll learn to love them. Good luck with everything!

Thanks TJ!

Yeah, I haven't explored why the previous operator couldn't run 130#12x18. That's on my to-do list. Since I'm in-house and not a commercial facility, I doubt they'd go for any upgrades as the goal is "good enough".

I'm having trouble getting drums and toner for my v80 and 180. I've got a few weeks worth of cyan before my machines go offline.

Now what we really need to address is why you're having issues running the 12x18 sheets through your press.
to follow up...

I think my predecessor wasn't that knowledgeable. After digging through some of the duplo programs, I think he was measuring instead of using math, whenever possible.

For example, as y'all know, 1inch =25.4mm. So the height of a BC is 50.8mm, but the programs are all rounded. He had the BC as 51mm tall. All the other programs appear to be guesses as well. So, if we do 24up on a 13x19 sheet, that's 8 rows, that means the last card is about 1/16" off on the last set on the sheet. So my guess is, they decided to do 8up on a small sheet cuz the error isn't as noticeable on row four.

I think he was also measuring the gutters, but I now have them at exactly at 5mm in the Fiery and Duplo impositions.

Thanks again y'all!

I only get one sheet out and there are many cuts afterwards, I'm guessing to drop the "excess" to the garbage bin?

If you want to cut 12x18 into two 9x12, "auto cut" has to be turned off in the template in "FUNCTION" -- or do it in "SETTINGS" after the template is saved.

From the manual:

Auto cut
Lead margin and trail margin are finely cut and dropped in the waste box.
When documents do not have lead margin or trail margin, this must be turned off.

If you want to cut 12x18 into two 9x12, "auto cut" has to be turned off in the template in "FUNCTION" -- or do it in "SETTINGS" after the template is saved.

From the manual:

Auto cut
Lead margin and trail margin are finely cut and dropped in the waste box.
When documents do not have lead margin or trail margin, this must be turned off.
thanks for the insight!

I had been cheating in another fashion to accomplish this, but will explore what you said. Learning is fun!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back