Dust problem in printshop

yorgil

Hello,

We have very harmful problem with dust in our printshop. Every piece of equipment is covered with thin, white dust. Not only where print machines work, but in CTP, office etc. Its not normal, All computers and other equipment are greyed with that. We clean this dust two times a week but it is not possible to clean it out. We have water fountain to preserve paper dusting but it not help. Someone said me, reverse osmosis should help but im not sure about it. If there was so many calcium or other mineral debris in the water, then fountain nozzles should be first to chock up. And those nozzles work fine. Has anyone met such problem? I think this is something with paper or water or maybe printing ink but i dont have any idea what to do to assure optimal climate in printshop. Can you give me some advice, please.

Thank you in advance
Przemek

You should gather a spoonful of this dust and see if it is water soluble. If it does not readily dissolve in water, it is not likely it has come from your water.

Funny story, I had this terrible problem of getting dust on my press for weeks on end; I would leave and come in the next morning and there would be dust all in my ink fountains. I looked everywhere, tested everything, and couldn't find anything. Then one day I was staying late to finish up some stuff and one of the guy working on the web presses about 30 feet away on the night shift had found a defect in his roll. I watched as he first turned a high powered fan on, then started grinding the roll down spraying all of the paper dust some 30 feet over to where my press was lol! Had to ask him very politely not to blow grinder dust my way :)

Check out your HVAC system, > duct work <. You would be amazed at the accumulation of foreign matter that can keep circulating and distributing it in your entire facility. D

We experienced the same problem years ago. Turned out to be offset powder. Our heating system was full of it and anytime it cycled, a very light dusting of powder.

Offset powder is the MOST likely reason, paper dust and everything else is secondary. Do all that you can to minimize the generation and release of the dust at the source; reduce powder setting, improved housekeeping, duct cleaning, etc.

Trapping the dust that cannot be eliminated as close to the source as possible is the most productive approach. Commercial equipment is available but you can also build a simple, effective solution. Obtain a relatively large (12 inch wide, 12 inch diameter, the larger, the better) air conditioning blower assembly.

Build a plywood box about 24 inches on each side, or as needed for the blower and 36 inches tall. Mount the blower inside on the floor of the box and arrange an airtight connection of the exhaust out the top of the box. Make simple frames to hold PLEATED airfilters on the outside of each side of the box, cutting away most of the side panels. Duct tape everything air-tight.

Arrange a diffuser or grill of some sort on the exhaust to minimize drafts and complaints with a safety screen to avoid fingers and objects going into the top.

Attempt to get an airflow of about 2000 cubic feet per minute. Place this device near the source of the dust and run it continuously. Replace the filters when they begin to show a substantial collection of dust and dirt.

HEPA filters would be ideal but are expensive. Pleated filters have a larger surface area and a finer filtration rating. Do not use any filter that you can see through. This type of device is very effective if the area to be treated is small enough. Multiple units will help.

Larry Goldberg
Beta Screen Corp.
The Last Manufacturer of Dust-Spot-Free Screen Tints

You should gather a spoonful of this dust and see if it is water soluble. If it does not readily dissolve in water, it is not likely it has come from your water.

I have tried this and about half spoon of dust dissolved in water, so problem is not only in the water. Nozzles of water system are scaled but not so much to explain so much dust. I think it can be offset powder but my print house manager insits only reverse osmosis can halp and all that mess is from water. I agree, reverse osmosis is nedded but it can provide correct environment in print house but not solve dust problem. So, i think i have to build some dust removal equipment about which @ljgoldberg said.

Is your water fountain system spraying a mist of water into the air to maintain the humidity? If so, then that system must have reverse osmosis water. All of the dissolved minerals in the water are left in the air after the water droplets evaporate.

Yes, our water fountain sprays mist of water to prevent paper dust and to provide correct humidity. And i realize that minerals from water precipitate everywhere. I collected some of our dust and i have tried to dissolve it in water. If it comes from water it should dissolve. But even not half of that dust dissolved in water. So, im at entry point now. I realize i have to install reverse osmosis (this year i want to standarize our print process, so it is a must) but installation only for machines water systems is much cheaper than installation to neutralise all water in printshop. And some of You said that probably main reason of dust is offset powder or problem with HVAC system. And that dust is everywhere and there is a lot of it. We have printhouse of 300m2 with 2 print machines (they work 18/24). Next to that printhouse is doored corridor, next doored CTP and next there are stairs to next floor to our offices. That dust is in all that rooms. All furniture and computers are covered with thin white/grey dust. I even not try to think what we have in our lungs.

Sir as stated previously, it has infiltrated the HVAC. Printers Service (Prisco) and perhaps others, have a mechanical evacuation system that can be installed to significantly minimize the issue. I would recommend this as affordable, and then have your HVAC thoroughly cleaned. Other than that, dusty roads will probably be something you will have to tolerate. Good Luck. D

Hello
I am have problem on machine sm52-2 model 1998
The air compressor not off
And the machine no start because the machine tell no have air in machine
I am change prucher switch for the machine but same problem
Thanks
Basem

Try increasing the micron size of your spray powder and reducing the delivery amount. I am 98% sure you do not aqueous coat in-line, please correct me if I am wrong.

First, thoroughly clean the entire spray unit; nozzles, bulb, any points where the powder normally traverses. Hope it helps sir.

Last edited:
Sir thanks for your massage
But the problem in the machine
For pnumatic compressor air
One problem the penumatic compressor not stop and the machine not start because the machine flash lamp yellow no air in machine but in machine have air
Thanks
Basem

You need some press mechanical help then. Cannot help you there.
My arms are too short to reach to Saudi Arabia. Good Luck!

Try increasing the micron size of your spray powder and reducing the delivery amount. I am 98% sure you do not aqueous coat in-line, please correct me if I am wrong.

No, we havent in-line aqueous coat, if i correct understand that. We have just dry powder sprayed directly on print sheets.

First, thoroughly clean the entire spray unit; nozzles, bulb, any points where the powder normally traverses. Hope it helps sir.

Hmm, then our prinetrs have some extra job on weekend... But is it possible that those dirt in nozzles etc. can make such big dust spreading? Do you mean it is something wrong with correct dose of powder due to dirt?

Yes sir, they could be clogged, which forces excessive air and an overcharge of powder. Possibility certainly, regular press maintenance is a necessary task that will always increase your profits in the long haul. D

Printers use an excessive amount of spray for a few reasons. The offset spray unit may not be funtioning properly so they have to crank it up to get spray onto the sheet. The pressman has got into trouble in the past from having some offsetting so they crank it up anyway just to make sure they dont get it again. Might be worth investing in a Landsco light which will show how much spray is actually getting onto the surface of the sheet.
I have attached a link. You could always make your own if they are too expensive.
Landsco Surface Inspection Lights

Very nice Cornishpastythighs, you are a master craftsman and a credit to your trade as well as mankind. Sincerely, D.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back