Early 80's Polar 92 EMC

dotgain

Have an issue with my cutter.

Turned it on the other day and all the programs were erased and we were not able to mark any cuts to any of the programs.
You can see all 99 programs but all cuts are empty.

Opened up the program memory module (pulls out from the face of the display) and realized that the battery was dead.
We replaced the battery and ensured that we had 3.6V feeding the board however still have the same result, unable to mark any cuts.

Other than that the cutter performs as it should.

Thinking that when the battery died that I lost the information that was saved on the chips… thinking that is called “volatile ram”?

Spoke to Heidleberg tech and he mentioned that there was a procedure to follow to re-write the program to the memory module, but could not recall what it was and is going to get back to me.

Does any one know what the procedure is or can it be rewritten somehow.

I am not concerned about what was saved on the programs just need the ability to mark cuts again.

Thanks in advance.

Hi dotgain!

If your machine has a screen (CRT) on top you can initialize the memory banks. This machine would be called EMC-Monitor or EM-Monitor. I do not think so, because you would ask about the error message in text “MEMORY BANK FAULT: DELETE 240” on the screen.
If you have a machine with seven-segment display (SSD), the memory is automatically initialized. But you are able to erase older information’s and empty the memory. This machine would be called EMC I (spoken emc one) or EMC II (spoken emc two). To distinguish between EMC I and EMC II you take a look at the light barrier. If you can see the light traveling from the transmitter to the receiver you have an EMC I machine. If you cannot see the light, the machine is switched off or you have an EMC II machine.
I do not believe you have an EMC I machine, because this machine has hardwired accumulator inside the memory. And I do not believe you have an EMC II, because there is no battery or accumulator.

Buntpapier

Hi Buntpapier,
I believe it is an EMC I… has a visible light barrier with light bulbs.

See attached images of the machine, inside the memory module (this is where we replaced the battery, zip tied pack), the third picture is the face of the display showing where the memory module plugs in (to the left of the buttons).

Are you saying that the program that controls the memory module and programming of the cutter is hardwired and would not be affected by a dead battery?

photo.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo3.JPG

Lucky men!

Ofter the memory is broken after years and years.

Good luck for the next 100 years with this good old cutter.

Buntpapier

Thanks Buntpaper, she has been a good machine for the most part… right now just hoping to survive the next 5-10 years in this industry!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back